Thread: Chevy 5.3 AFM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    It sounds like you take very good care of your vehicles to get lots of miles out of all of them .. you can buy a part for a little over 100 bucks and most likely avoid the one issue with the truck that could lead to an major issue ... and there is no garentee that you would have an issue anyways

For full disclosure I am not a GM apologists .. I actually hate them just as much as all vehicle manufactures at this point .. they are all building their vehicles to need to be serviced at the dealer to soak their customers .. every last one of them ... it’s how they are paying their bills these days.. through service and selling over priced parts

You can go trade in if you would like .. but go do some digging on your next purchase and you will freak out just as much lol
    You are correct. It seems that engineers design things to need repairs. I am very diligent when it comes to maintaining anything I own and usually it pays off. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. And I know my luck will run out. Hope I didn’t come across as an ass. Not my intention. I genuinely had no idea of this afm on Chevy trucks until after I purchased this truck and have been sick ever since. It may be ok? I put 40,000 miles a year on vehicles. Most of them interstate miles traveling to and from work. Occasionally I get to pull a boat but no more than 15 or so times a year. We will see how it goes. Again, thank you for your input on this matter as I’m sure you know much more about this than I do.

. they are all building their vehicles to need to be serviced at the dealer to soak their customers .. every last one of them ... it’s how they are paying their bills these days..
    FWIW, I was a mechanic at a GM dealership in the early 80's. Even back then it was the service and parts departments that paid the bills...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    FWIW, I was a mechanic at a GM dealership in the early 80's. Even back then it was the service and parts departments that paid the bills...
    It’s 100 times worse now .. it actually sickens me when it’s obvious that things where designed to break and designed so it can’t be repaired by the owner .. you have people paying a hundred bucks to get a few bulbs changed

Bobby .. you didn’t come off as anything but concerned ... we pay a ton for this stuff I should be trouble free for a minimum 100k minus wear items .. none of them are and I see them all break

5. Member
    Change the headlight bulbs in a Tundra.

One of the first things I looked for on my 2018 if it had better headlights than my 2015. I'd hate to think what it would have cost for the dealer to change my headlight bulbs! The entire grill had to be removed along with other parts.

It sounds like 196 got a good Silverado if he drives 40K miles a year and is still in a trouble free 2014. I'd drive on until I was ready for a new one.

6. Banned
    indeed

Bought it used last year with 38,000 on it. 81,000 on it now. My son got his license last year and wanted my tundra.
    Last edited by 196 Bobby; 04-20-2019 at 11:07 AM.

8. Member
    I have a 2010 Sierra with AFM. If it was my daily driver it would have been gone in 2011.... it’s got 50k on it and 45+ are with a boat behind it and towing in M5 so AFM never kicks in. On the rare occasion I drive it without the boat I drive in M5 and that keeps it from kicking in. Works for me thus far as it has only had fluids changed and just bought new shoes for it.

I don’t intend on getting rid of it any time soon but because of the known issues I would dump it faster.

9. Member
    2010 Sierra 5.3 here. I change it every 3,000 miles. Paranoid as well. Wanting to dump it soon.

10. Member
    I haven't seen this mentioned yet but a catch can is a must for the newer 5.3's. Mine has about 4 oz of oil in it at each oil change and an inch of sludge at the bottom. I haven't done the AFM delete yet because I'm still under warranty but I'll be getting a Diablew Tune when it's up.

We have a 12 suburban. It's a fine vehicle. The AFM not so much. I put a range Disabler in it and it still burns a qt of oil every 1k miles. I've put 3 sets of plugs in it in 150k miles of ownership.
    Pondering getting rid of it, but it's paid for. Hell if she craps out a crate motor will be cheaper than a whole new vehicle. Don't know what to do, probably run till it pukes.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7379-d...2-engines.aspx

The correct way to fix the issue. Make sure you use a non dod camshaft and if you have vvt make sure you get the vvt delete kit as well. The afm/dod equipped engines will last pretty much forever with proper maintenance with these mods done.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    We have a 12 suburban. It's a fine vehicle. The AFM not so much. I put a range Disabler in it and it still burns a qt of oil every 1k miles. I've put 3 sets of plugs in it in 150k miles of ownership.
    Pondering getting rid of it, but it's paid for. Hell if she craps out a crate motor will be cheaper than a whole new vehicle. Don't know what to do, probably run till it pukes.
    Dump a can on sea foam into the oil about 100 -2miles before your next oil change and see if anything changes even a little then repeat

14. Member
    2013 Silverado. Should I do afm Disabler? Any certain one?
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    I haven't seen this mentioned yet but a catch can is a must for the newer 5.3's. Mine has about 4 oz of oil in it at each oil change and an inch of sludge at the bottom. I haven't done the AFM delete yet because I'm still under warranty but I'll be getting a Diablew Tune when it's up.

the plug in ones do not affect warrant nor leave any trace of being there
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post
    2013 Silverado. Should I do afm Disabler? Any certain one?
    just call range and give them your model and they will send it to you,i would not buy one from ebay,from range it has free updates if ever needed

17. Member
    Dump a can on sea foam into the oil about 100 -2miles before your next oil change and see if anything changes even a little then repeat

also, add 1 qt of snthetic lucas to oil and see what happens fixes this issue a lot and also helps the lifters
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    I put the AFM disabler in my 2018 Sierra...lost about 1/2 a mile MPG at worst....and the performance is way better and smoother

19. Member
    Is the resolution here we should all buy the AFM disabler???

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Change the headlight bulbs in a Tundra.

One of the first things I looked for on my 2018 if it had better headlights than my 2015. I'd hate to think what it would have cost for the dealer to change my headlight bulbs! The entire grill had to be removed along with other parts.

It sounds like 196 got a good Silverado if he drives 40K miles a year and is still in a trouble free 2014. I'd drive on until I was ready for a new one.
    He still won't tell us his repair bills for Tundras that he mentioned, guarantee they're high mileage units with air pump replacement and alternator replacement but I guess we'll never know. Hell he won't even say if they're for the 5.7.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast