VRO Pump Questions 2000 225 johnson HO

What are the symptoms of a VRO Pump that is not properly working??? Are there any real cons with deleting it and mixing fuel?????

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    They usually fail to the over oiling side....the cons are always running @ 50-1 oil mixture, smokey,fouled plugs if you idle a lot....inconvienience.

3. Member
    After all reading I've done and asking about the VRO pumps. I'm new to the whole thing. But I'm going to run my VRO pump. For one the motor is cold natured already so I don't want to start a cold motor all the time with oil to gas a little on the rich side. Plus the VRO pump mixes it with a different ratio with the Rpms.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I've had three motors on my boat from day one a GT150 and ran the VRO never failure, sold that and put a 2000 MY 200 on it (sweet motor) and ran the VRO on it with no issues, sold it and now there is a 2001 MY 225 HO on it with the VRO still working and no issues. Your motor should have a system check gauge or tach. That will alert you to both a low oil and a no oil issue. Most issues are on the fuel side with a failing diaphragm and the motor not getting enough fuel.
    Can you describe your issues if any?

5. Member
    It will run good for a few miles and then start losing rpms. then when starting it again it will smoke and be very sluggish and not get over 2,500 rpm's. It will then also stall when idling and also stall under a load trying to drive it on the trailer. All fuel lines have been replaced. New filters and plugs also which seem to be fouling more than expected. Anti siphon valve changed out also. stator coils and power packs checked out ok per mechanic so he thinks VRO pump

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you'd like to delete it you won't be cast to the fires of hell. They ain't cheap to replace. Get the dual stacked pump and it will fit with a minor mod to the original VRO pump bracket. Pro-Marine makes the one I like, I don't like the off shore pumps.