Thread: Rear Ended

Rear Ended

So I had to stop at Wal-Mart this afternoon (I know, I should have planned better) and some guy backed into my Pathfinder. He was ranting and raving, but took full responsibility for the accident and gave me his insurance info - didn't even ask for mine. I would like to go directly to his insurance company to get my bumper fixed and not have to involve my insurance at all. In my experience, any time my insurance company gets involved in anything - even if I'm not at fault - my premiums go up. Anyone have experience with this?

By the way, I was going to Wal-mart to buy insulin for my blind, diabetic beagle after going to post op physical therapy as I recover from shoulder surgery. I told my wife this could be the beginnings of a country song....
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Just call his, no need to contact yours unless his insurance tries to get out of covering.

My truck is in the body shop now from the same issue
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Yes, just contact his. No reason to contact yours.

Did the guy look like he could take care of it out of his pocket? It might save both of you from getting an “incident” point on your insurance.

A couple of of years ago, a guy rear-ended me at a stop light. Messed him up real good but didn’t even knock the dust off my bumper. After the police finished,I called my insurance agent and asked if I needed to report it, even though I was filling no claim. He more or less said, “we’ll pretend we didn’t talk”. If the insurance company learns you’re involved in an accident, it goes on the records, damage claim or not. Silence is gold.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Did the guy look like he could take care of it out of his pocket? It might save both of you from getting an “incident” point on your insurance.
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard about someone getting burned when entering this foolish agreement....

6. Member
    Hope that whatever info he gave you is true

7. Banned
    Don't you need an accident report from LEO to collect on insurance?

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    No...it helps if fault for the accident gets disputed but not required.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    They did when my truck got rear ended.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

10. Member
    He gave me all his info and insurance. I'm going to get a couple estimates and call his insurance company on Monday. If they give me crap I'll get my insurance involved. Last summer my wife was sitting at a stop light when a woman who was more interested in her phone than driving hit her from behind. She called our insurance, even though she was in no way at fault. The other woman's insurance payed for everything and our premiums went up.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Always get a police incident report. There is no need to contact your insurance company if everything is legit on his end. If all is well then all his insurance company will need is a police incident report.

12. Member
    If he calls his insurance and reports it no problem. My wife backed into a car at a carlot we was looking at another car. Called agent and took care of it.
    Daughter got hit in parking lot and information was bogus. SC law uninsured is mandatory with a 200 deductible. Just had to call/go pickup report and file it. Poice informed me about it or I would've wrote ot off.

13. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    What stinks here is that he didn't take your info. How is he going tell his insurance who he backed into. Or tell them you drove into him. That's why it's a good thing to have the cops do a report on any accident. Please keep us informed how this plays out.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

14. Member
    In my state, if both vehicles are drivable and there are no injuries it's non reportable. I have him my name and phone number, he will call his insurance on Monday. Worst case, I call the cops and they get the footage from Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard about someone getting burned when entering this foolish agreement....
    It sure worked out for me when I had two teenage driver at home.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    Stopped at the best local body shop this morning and got an estimate - $992 to replace the rear bumper cover. The shop is an approved shop for the guys insurance company. Called his insurance company and they took the claim. They called the guy and he verified he was at fault. I am all set, three insurance company is paying and I just need to take the car in for a day and it will be done. Worked out better than I was expecting.

In this state, LEO's don't want to hear about a fender bender on private property, which a Wal-Mart lot is. I have also heard that bit about Insurance requiring a police report on the accident, and I had a conversation with an insurance company about why my insurance would go up if I was rear-ended while I was legally stopped at a traffic light. I came to the conclusion that none of the details matter, they'll just get all of your money they can. I also learned not to take anybody's word that they'd pay for damages, if I'd please not report it to their insurance company.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

18. Banned
    Let me warn you guys about insurance claims. My daughter's boyfriend (unauthorized driver) totaled out my Honda Civic SI. And my wife touched a metal pole in the handicap lane at Walmart getting my rear bumper/fender. Recently someone stole my Explorer from my daughter and left it in my front yard with $2900 damage. An uninsured motorist pulled out in front of my wife from a fast food place and a hood and bumper cover had to be replaced.

These were all noted on a Lexus/Nexus accident report that insurance companies review from time to time. In this situation, Allstate didn't forgive anything and cancelled my insurance. I took my business to another insurance company and they doubled my rates. I pulled a Lexus/Nexus report and they had a couple of wrong entries on my report.

My homeowners' insurance was also bundled to the auto policies and it went up 30%.
    While this may or may not have been the reason for the cancellation, the information provided is going to cost me between $5000-$10000 before 5 years' of info drops off the report.

In my case, we have 4 cars--two with full coverage and two with just liability coverage. The increase in premiums will keep me from replacing any vehicles like my 16 year old pickup truck in the future.

Everyone needs to watch their Lexus/Nexus report from time to time. Like a FICO score, you can request the info online for free once per year. you have the right to rebuttal under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and you have the right to make comments.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Let me warn you guys about insurance claims. My daughter's boyfriend (unauthorized driver) totaled out my Honda Civic SI. And my wife touched a metal pole in the handicap lane at Walmart getting my rear bumper/fender. Recently someone stole my Explorer from my daughter and left it in my front yard with $2900 damage. An uninsured motorist pulled out in front of my wife from a fast food place and a hood and bumper cover had to be replaced.

These were all noted on a Lexus/Nexus accident report that insurance companies review from time to time. In this situation, Allstate didn't forgive anything and cancelled my insurance. I took my business to another insurance company and they doubled my rates. I pulled a Lexus/Nexus report and they had a couple of wrong entries on my report.

My homeowners' insurance was also bundled to the auto policies and it went up 30%.
    While this may or may not have been the reason for the cancellation, the information provided is going to cost me between $5000-$10000 before 5 years' of info drops off the report.

In my case, we have 4 cars--two with full coverage and two with just liability coverage. The increase in premiums will keep me from replacing any vehicles like my 16 year old pickup truck in the future.

Everyone needs to watch their Lexus/Nexus report from time to time. Like a FICO score, you can request the info online for free once per year. you have the right to rebuttal under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and you have the right to make comments.
    Damn, I think Allstate made a wise business decision but I sincerely hope your luck changes for the better.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    I actually got into a huge mess about 7 years ago similar to Bamaman. My 16 year old daughter let her boyfriend use her car (2001 Ford Focus) and he was t-boned by an older model Olds Cutlass Supreme. The impact on the driver's side basically made a taco shell out of the focus - the Olds had no damage. Thankfully the boyfriend was not hurt. The Focus was of course totaled and it all fell on my insurance since the vehicle was insured by me - the driver's insurance (through the same company as me) wasn't impacted at all. My son just got his license about 2 weeks ago - he knows not to lend his car to anyone.