Thread: PUMA // EYRA

PUMA // EYRA

Well I didn't get the one I was after but I have found another Puma and also Eyra. Thoughts on both if you have owned them .. Both boat are 2011 models

2. Member
    I have a fair amount of experience in both hulls. I am currently on my second Eyra and this one really boils down to personal preference.

--The Puma has a slightly bigger front deck at the trolling motor. Not much but it is noticeable.
    --Top end speed is very, very close between the two hulls with a fishing load. The Eyra may have a little more potential when lightly loaded but with full gear and 2 people they are almost identical in top end.
    --Handling is by far gonna go to the Eyra. Once you get the hang of driving it the Eyra is capable of carving turns like no other I've been in except for an Allison.
    --Hole shot goes to the Puma. I find the hole shot times very similar but the Puma comes out flatter which helps in shallower water like we fish here in Southeast La.
    --Rough water ride is a toss up. The Eyra's handling make it a little easier to navigate the rough stuff but they are both nice in the rough. The Eyra almost refuses to stuff a wave. It has compensated for my poor driving and saved me from getting wet several times.
    --Storage is a toss up. I personally love, love, love the coffin lid setup on the Eyra and it's one of the main reasons I went back to an Eyra for my new rig. The Eyra has a very, very slight edge on rear compartment storage. It may just be the eye playing tricks but it seems like the back lid opening is a little bigger. I could be wrong on this one though.
    --Seating is a little tighter in the Eyra. The cockpit sits lower in the Eyra than the puma and has slightly less leg room. I prefer the lower seating, it makes me feel more comfortable when running hard. I don't like feeling like I'm sitting on top of the boat when running at speed. I'm 6'1" with a long inseam and don't have any issue with leg room.
    --Handling on the Trolling motor goes to the Eyra. It is very nimble on the troller if you are a shallow water fisherman.
    --If you fish offshore more often I would go with the Puma just on its slightly larger deck and more stability in the waves.
    --It's tough to describe the difference without going drive both. I'd say the Puma is slightly bigger overall, just as fast, a little roomier in the cockpit, Maybe slightly more comfortable overall. More like a sport touring type setup.
    --The Eyra feels much more "sporty" and nimble while being a little smaller overall. More of a sports car type setup. Personal preference for me as well but I think the Eyra's body lines are just beautiful. It's just a fine looking rig.

I hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask any questions if I missed on what you were looking for.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

3. Member
    Just ordered a new Erya and I think I have read Chris's post almost 8 times now. Maybe the most comprehensive report on the Erya I have found.

Man that is what I was looking for .. I am coming out of an Allison XB 21 . I need a single console boat and not many single Ally's for sale . Don't want a new boat payment . I really like the lower seating ,, reason for selling is so I can take my grandson's and the lower seating would be a plus I think with smaller kids in the boat. The middle one is 5 and is giving me fits wanting to go fishing .

5. Member
    I'm a big Allison fan so you won't here any negatives from me there.

I should also add,

--the puma has a better ice chest. Both have a second ice chest under the center seat. Don't knock the importance here.
    -- both have net storage but the Pumas is accessible while fighting fish through the small middle net compartment. The eyra's net is stored inside the main coffin lid storage.

Tough decision but a good one either way!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

6. Member
    Damn Chris...great review! Post that on the BCB page too.

7. Member
    Congrats on the new Eyra order !!!! I can't compare or comment on a Puma...but I've had a P2 and now an Eyra for over 1 year. Chris's review of the Eyra is spot on. The Eyra turns like it's hooked to the water, not sliding across the top of it. Very very awesome and confidence inspiring boat !!! You will be totally happy with your Eyra !
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

8. Member
    great comparison Chris! I never had a Puma, surprised it has a better hole shot. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the coffin lids on my Eyra. One step left or right and I can access all my tackle, it's so efficient and quick that I'm not sure I could go back to a boat without coffin lids.

The one drawback of the Eyra............it's so much fun to drive I find myself enjoying the driving more than the fishing on some days haha

9. Member
    Thanks, I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Pretty pumped.

My brother has an Eyra and I have a Cougar FTD (same hull as Puma which I've fished out of and driven also). It's just a matter of choice. Both are great rigs. I think the Eyra has a slight edge in the rough stuff. And don't think the Puma won't turn good. It will turn awesome too. There are things I like better on my boat and thinks I like better on my brother's boat. You will get a great boat no matter what you decide.

11. Member
    Coming out of a Cougar FTD & now owning a 2017 Eyra, here are my comparisons... The Eyra has noticeably less leg room than the Cougar and the seat fits so tight to the gear shift lever that it actually rubs when you lift the seat bottom. My Cougar would plane off faster with the same engine combo, The Eyra handles better & has a marginal speed advantage, the front deck size goes to the Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Superpro View Post
    Coming out of a Cougar FTD & now owning a 2017 Eyra, here are my comparisons... The Eyra has noticeably less leg room than the Cougar and the seat fits so tight to the gear shift lever that it actually rubs when you lift the seat bottom. My Cougar would plane off faster with the same engine combo, The Eyra handles better & has a marginal speed advantage, the front deck size goes to the Cougar
    With that being said, which one do you prefer? What type of water do you fish?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    I have a fair amount of experience in both hulls. I am currently on my second Eyra and this one really boils down to personal preference.

--The Puma has a slightly bigger front deck at the trolling motor. Not much but it is noticeable.
    --Top end speed is very, very close between the two hulls with a fishing load. The Eyra may have a little more potential when lightly loaded but with full gear and 2 people they are almost identical in top end.
    --Handling is by far gonna go to the Eyra. Once you get the hang of driving it the Eyra is capable of carving turns like no other I've been in except for an Allison.
    --Hole shot goes to the Puma. I find the hole shot times very similar but the Puma comes out flatter which helps in shallower water like we fish here in Southeast La.
    --Rough water ride is a toss up. The Eyra's handling make it a little easier to navigate the rough stuff but they are both nice in the rough. The Eyra almost refuses to stuff a wave. It has compensated for my poor driving and saved me from getting wet several times.
    --Storage is a toss up. I personally love, love, love the coffin lid setup on the Eyra and it's one of the main reasons I went back to an Eyra for my new rig. The Eyra has a very, very slight edge on rear compartment storage. It may just be the eye playing tricks but it seems like the back lid opening is a little bigger. I could be wrong on this one though.
    --Seating is a little tighter in the Eyra. The cockpit sits lower in the Eyra than the puma and has slightly less leg room. I prefer the lower seating, it makes me feel more comfortable when running hard. I don't like feeling like I'm sitting on top of the boat when running at speed. I'm 6'1" with a long inseam and don't have any issue with leg room.
    --Handling on the Trolling motor goes to the Eyra. It is very nimble on the troller if you are a shallow water fisherman.
    --If you fish offshore more often I would go with the Puma just on its slightly larger deck and more stability in the waves.
    --It's tough to describe the difference without going drive both. I'd say the Puma is slightly bigger overall, just as fast, a little roomier in the cockpit, Maybe slightly more comfortable overall. More like a sport touring type setup.
    --The Eyra feels much more "sporty" and nimble while being a little smaller overall. More of a sports car type setup. Personal preference for me as well but I think the Eyra's body lines are just beautiful. It's just a fine looking rig.

I hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask any questions if I missed on what you were looking for.
    Thank you for doing that. Hopefully sooner rather than later will be looking for a new rig and basscat is definitely on the list. Honestly so many models I had no idea which was considered the top basscat or money saver. Also great to hear an legit actual opinion other than just reading black and white. Fantastic post

14. Member
    No Problem. I totally understand the stress of making a new boat purchase decision. It's a bunch of money to spend on any item much less a non-essential. I would rather anyone be happy with their purchase than try to sway someone towards a product just because it's what I have. Bass Cat fortunately builds quite a few outstanding models to chose from depending on what your personal fishing style, appearance preferences, and budget will allow.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.