Northern pike fishing?

My 7 yr old son wants to catch some pike. I am in southern Indiana, so very few around here. Thinking of taking a trip up north this summer to catch some. any recommendations on lakes or resorts/ cabins in Wisconsin?
    I have been to Minnesota several times, but it was years ago, and would like to stay closer to home.

2. Member
    The lac du Flambeau chain is a great chunk of water with some large fish in it, but as with typical "trophy" waters, there's not a ton of action in terms of pike & musky. Last trip up I got a 37" Northern, a 26" Northern, lost an upper 40s musky about 10 yards from the boat, and I got a wall mount size bass (for WI waters, anyway). LOTS of smaller bass.

There are many resorts to stay at, but during the season most all require a 1 week minimum. Our favorite is fish n bum.

Otherwise, check out the Minocqua area, or the spider lake chain.

Pretty much anywhere up this way is going to require a 1 week minimum, with the possible exception of campgrounds. If you're looking to camp, there's a great campground up near Boulder junction on trout lake. LOTS of lakes within trailering distance from there.

Also be warned that most of the larger bodies of water (ldf, Minocqua, etc) are lousy with recreational traffic all season (memorial day to labor day) long.

My recommendation would be to look at a map, pick a bunch of smaller bodies of water, and then look for a campground centrally located that you can trailer to them all.

3. Member
    Are you looking for big fish or a bunch of smaller decent sized fish?
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

I fish the Mississippi river at La Cross Wi. pike are all over. average size is about 5-8 lbs. with 10 plus pounders on occasion.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    I fish the Mississippi river at La Cross Wi. pike are all over. average size is about 5-8 lbs. with 10 plus pounders on occasion.
    This^ also Mississippi river pool 10 out of Wyalusing state park would be a good choice if your the camping type?
    Cheese County Bass Club

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    This^ also Mississippi river pool 10 out of Wyalusing state park would be a good choice if your the camping type?
    I like the river too, but wing dams can really mess up a guys day if you aren't familiar. A lot of them don't show up on charts... Plus with the amount of rain we've been having, the river level is all over the place. Don't know when he's looking to go?

7. Member
    I figure he's going this summer, the river is out of control now, yes. but let's hope by summer it'll get back to <11' nice thing about Wyalusing state park launch, you can fish all day and not even need to go out into the main channel!
    I agree though the river is out of control, (19' and rising) if pool 10 gets to 10' or so it's a blast for pike in the back waters!
    Cheese County Bass Club

8. Member
    Winneconne, Poygan and Buttes des Mortes have tons of pike. Can stay at Langs Landing or the Wolf River resort in Winneconne and fish them all. Neither one of those places is what I would call luxurious but they're a place to stay and pretty cheap.