Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seastar Steering

Can you use Mercury Steering fluid in the Teleflex/Seastar steering system? I've always used the Seastar (clear) in my system but it is not sold locally here, have to order it. Price for it plus shipping is ridiculous. Mercury is found pretty easy.
    Just wondering. Thought if anyone would know, Don @ European Marine would
    Thanks

Since no one knows the answer to this, thought I would ask this.........Has anyone used or are using the Seastar Tournament Series? Anyone know anything about them?

3. Member
    Simplest answer is to go to O'Reilly's and buy some of their AW32 hydraulic fluid. About $20 per GALLON, or $5 per quart. About 1/5 of what Seastar fluid costs. I know many (myself included) that have been using this and it works just fine, in seastar, or uflex silver steer also.

The tournament version works pretty well. Personally I am using the uflex silver steer and consider that cylinder a much better overall design than the seastar.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Thanks OldTimer. Just curious, why is the UFlex better?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Far more robust. Mercury Power trim and steering fluid is fine to use in a standard hydraulic system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don. I couldn't see why you couldn't those fluids either.

Few questions Don...
    What is the part # for the UFlex for a 250 SHO?
    How does it compare to the Seastar Tournament series ( which seems pretty robust itself).
    The Tournament series has a max psi of 2000 while I've only seen 1500 on the Uflex ( also 1500 on the Seastar Pro series).
    I have to put a new system on my SHO & looking to buy just once.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Thanks Don. I couldn't see why you couldn't those fluids either.

Few questions Don...
    What is the part # for the UFlex for a 250 SHO?
    How does it compare to the Seastar Tournament series ( which seems pretty robust itself).
    The Tournament series has a max psi of 2000 while I've only seen 1500 on the Uflex ( also 1500 on the Seastar Pro series).
    I have to put a new system on my SHO & looking to buy just once.
    Don requires serial numbers for posts. Please read the announcement at the top of the forum page...….

Wait,you do know Don isn't a Yamaha dealer right?
    Last edited by Savage; 04-20-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: red is upsetting

Yes I know. I'm familiar with what is required on the forum. I sold my 250 ProXs & now run the SHO. I would think ( sometimes) a 4 stroke is a 4 stroke with similar torque, although I'm sure there are variances. Seastar & Uflex list virtually the same number for both 4 strokes. The Uflex list a !,2, & 3. I would think (again) the #1 is a single motor but don't know for sure & Like I said, only want to buy once. And although Don is not a Yamaha dealer, I'm sure he sees his share of them & knowing Don I only want his expertise on the steering, not on the motor itself. I was thinking (again) that he could point me in the right direction on the steering. I hope I didn't insult him with the SHO since he is a mercury guy. I guess I should have asked this on the Yammie forum but assumed steering is steering, just wanted an opinion of which is better, not best. Thanks Savage but I would have gotten the message without the RED quote.

9. Member
    Don sells a Uflex cylinder that is made for Mercury, with a Mercury part number...…..not a Uflex part number.

Thanks Savage. Don't think I really want one that says Mercury on it although. Was looking at the UFlex, as that was my choice, but the Pro-tech 2 which is for my motor, I think. However the max psi for it is 1000 & the Silver star is only 1500. The tournament series by Seastar is 2000 & Seastar Pro is 1500 so that what is causing me to look at all of them. I've heard & read good things about both systems but that seems to be with anything & everything these days. The new Vexus boats are using the Seastar Pro with the 250 ProXs and so are other boats as well. Don't know if they get them at a good price (most likely) or just prefer them. Just trying to find some knowledgeable people that aren't biased on these systems. I have been running bass boats for 30+ years & all had Seastar on them & never had a failure so that says a lot for them. But was wondering how the UFlex would do. I do know the 4 stroke has a lot more torque than the 2 stroke ( I know, Pandora's box here) & was told the Seastar 5345 (1000 psi) is not good for the 4 stroke. But you know how that is, everybody has an opinion, LOL. Oh, and I do have this question on the Yamaha forum but not much interest so far.

11. Member
    I would contact Uflex for recommendations for your Yamaha SHO. Uflex makes a good cylinder specifically for Mercury, but I don't know if Uflex makes a specific cylinder that Yamaha sells. A Yamaha Dealer would also be a good resource.

Your steering cylinder needs to be compatible with the helm unit BRAND and PRESSURE.

It's a Seastar Pro, 1500psi

13. Member
    I have run SeaStar since the early 90's. The early versions were not so good with that sliding nylon block making the connection to the motor tiller. More recent versions addressed that. Here's my quick comparison on the points I cared about:

(1) connection to tiller is much better on the uflex cylinder, a jointed arm with massive bearings and zero slop anywhere, vs the hinge joint on the seastar that wears and eventually introduces some slop. The hinge is simple metal on metal.

(2) uflex doesn't rotate the cylinder during steering while seastar does. Not that that is a really bad thing, but it just adds another place (the hinge joint) that wears.

(3) the seastar cylinder I had used some sort of sintered metallic seal on the piston that wore a groove inside my cylinder. Can't say whether all of 'em are like that, but mine was, and a local hydraulic shop said that was not the best seal for the application. Works really well for full-travel applications (raising/lowering a bucket, etc). But not so great it if stays in one position a lot (say straight ahead steering) and it is subjected to vibration. When I saw a uflex at a boating show, opened up for display, it did not use that type of seal.

(4) uflex looks more modern with the clean aluminum look as opposed to cast and painted black.

(5) the seastar end seals are done poorly. There is nothing to keep the pushrod centered except for the seals themselves, and they are often not up to the job. Which allows them to wear/distort and eventually leak. They are a service item about every 3-4-5 years. The uflex has massive seals on the pushrod and you (at least I) can't make them distort by pushing/pulling on the cylinder body.

(6) seastar is beyond ridiculous on some of there policies. Using aircraft-grade hydraulic fluid at $25 per quart is nonsensical. They will not sell repair parts. I repaired my old cylinder by going to a local hydraulic seal shop and replaced end and piston seals for $10. Seastar refuses to sell the piston seal, and they only offer the end seals in a gland package for about $100 bucks.

(7) seastar tech support was pretty much non-existent. Have not had a problem with my silver steer cylinder yet so can't say good or bad about uflex so far. Seastar solution for all problems is "return it to us". Not a very good solution that takes too long, and is way too expensive.

When you get your hands on a uflex cylinder, first thing you will say is "wow, this is heavy-duty." The dimensions are a bit different, ie the pushrod is slightly larger on the silver steer cylinder, meaning the clips many use to center the steering while trailering won't work. uflex suggests not using them as they can contact the seals, they are so thick. I would just chamfer the clips if I wanted to use 'em, but I trailer with a normal transom-saver and have had zero issues with the motor falling off toward either side, it stays in position.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Thanks OldTimer. I have looked at the silver steer & can't figure something out with them. The unit for my SHO is UC128 SVS 2, that has the offset arm as it is on their application chart. On a few charts I have seen it showing a UC128 SVS 1, with the straight arm. Also, on some of the labels on the cylinder itself, I have seen it showing 1000psi on some & 1500psi on the same cylinder. These are all silver star UC128 SVS 1 & 2. Also, the specs on the SVS are the same as the black cylinders, as far as I can tell. So, until I find these things out, I won't change. I've talked to a guy I know that is running one on his Allison & he said he has gone through 3 that has leaked in just a few years. He also said their CS was no better than Seastar's so I don't know who or what is better. Again, thanks for the reply & your time.

15. Member
    Silversteer is certainly 1500 PSI only. I would contact uflex directly and ask as to which of the two arm styles you need. As far as leaks go, seastar is pretty much guaranteed to leak. I have a 2 year old silver steer cylinder that is not leaking a drop so far. Will not know more until some time passes. But certainly no mechanical slop anywhere in the cylinder, which is an improvement.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Hate to disagree, since disagreeing on these forum is dangerous but................." SilverSteer is certainly 1500PSI only"...........Not true according to pic.s-l1600 (1).jpg
    So what's the deal on this one? My motor takes the SVS 2 which has the offset arm. SVS1,2,3 only designate which arm is used for different motors & applications. All Cylinders are the same.
    Just can't figure out why some are 1500 & some are 1000psi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    Two different cylinders.
    One is a "Uflex"
    The other is a "Ultraflex"

That's correct, however, they are the same company ( Ultraflex is or was made in Italy, I think), & both Silversteer. And the Ultraflex is 1500 psi. I was actually referring to the Uflex pic, that is a "Uflex" & that it is a Silversteer & it is 1000psi. So not all are certainly 1500psi. At least that what it appears to me. Here the thing. I just wanted to know how to tell one from the other. I don't want to order one & find out when I get it is only 1000psi. $600 to $900 is a lot to me to have to pay & then have to return it & pay return shipping. Any website ( 99%) doesn't tell or show the PSI in their pics. I have called several to find out. Now, if I can explain this logically, if the Seastar 5345 is 1000psi, Pro is 1500psi, Tournament series is 2000psi, why is the Uflex supposed to be more "robust" & better. Is it because of the bigger shaft, heavier, mounting arm, bigger seals or what? I don't buy the "feels better, looks classier" or whatever. Just tell me why it's better. I have been all over these forums & nobody can say why it's better although it seem to be the rage now. Now I don't know which is better or worse. The only persons recommendation that points me in that direction on these is Don Weed. The man knows his stuff & I trust his judgement. Other than that, It's like being from Mo, Show Me.............

20. Member
    If you do a search you can read Don's prior comments on the Uflex cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast