Down Image help & fish pic

I've had my 1199 going on 5 years. Today, the down imaging worked fine when I launched. Then out of nowhere, it started getting interference. Sonar and side imaging work fine.

The down imaging started getting interference after I created 2 iTracks on my minnkota remote. I'm pretty sure it was just coincidence, but that is about the time I noticed the DI problem.

I initially wanted to create the iTracks on my 1199, but it didn't give me the option in the menu. By the way, I don't have an SD card in my 1199, so maybe that's required to create an iTrack from the head unit (I'm not sure on this).

Anyway, after creating iTracks on the handheld minnkota remote, I noticed the DI interference. I tired to trouble shoot on the water, and whenever I would switch from Sonar, or Side Imaging, to Down Imaging, the DI screen would look like normal until the scrolling started. Everything from that point forward would show interference. The screenshot below is maybe 20 seconds after going from regular sonar to down imaging.. The left side looks fine, but any scrolling looks like shit

Any ideas or suggestions?

My 17 year old daughter landed 2 channels. One in the low teens and another about 8 pounds. She is happy, and that's all that matters in my book.

I don't use down imaging as frequently as Side and Sonar, so not a huge loss. But I'm hoping someone can help me to troubleshoot.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KnotGillty; 04-19-2019 at 01:47 AM.

2. Member
    That's not interference. That's broken.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    That's not interference. That's broken.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. But why would DI work fine for 4+ years, and then break after creating some iTracks with the minnkota remote?

Bad luck, Coincidence?

I have a 360 and everything has worked properly since 2015. Although, I didn't bring the 360 on the boat today. I suppose I'll have to check that connection on the next trip???

Another anomaly, I have two onboard chargers that stay plugged in 24/7. For the first time in over a decade, when I left the home at 4am this morning, I drove away without unplugging both extension cords. They were stretched to full extension, then came unplugged as I drove away. Could that have created some sort of electrical anomaly, that affected my 1199 after I plugged it in several hours later?

My 1199 was in my backpack until we put the boat in the water, so in my humble opinion, the above shouldn't have caused the DI problem. Like I said earlier, the DI worked fine for 2 hours today, then went dead. Just thought I would throw those circumstances into the narrative.
    Last edited by KnotGillty; 04-18-2019 at 11:09 PM.

4. Member
    And the moon was gibbous waning, and the penny you found on the boat ramp was tails up instead of heads up, and your dog barked twice instead of once when you left the house.

Broken. Live with it, send it to AL, or buy a new one.

5. Member
    And the moon was gibbous waning, and the penny you found on the boat ramp was tails up instead of heads up, and your dog barked twice instead of once when you left the house.

Thanks for the twisted narrative lol. I can live without DI as I use it maybe 1% of my time on the water. I was simply hoping maybe there was a reason for the problem other than I'm screwed. I'm not going to send in my unit to AL, lol. As long as I can still use SI and Sonar (and 360), I can still use 99+% of my search options on the water.

Thanks for your input

6. Member
    Might try running it in Simulator Mode to see if you get same problem. BTW, itracks are stored in memory and not the SD card.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member

You wouldn't happen to be a doctor, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by KnotGillty View Post
    Thanks for the twisted narrative lol. I can live without DI as I use it maybe 1% of my time on the water. I was simply hoping maybe there was a reason for the problem other than I'm screwed. I'm not going to send in my unit to AL, lol. As long as I can still use SI and Sonar (and 360), I can still use 99+% of my search options on the water.

Thanks for your input
    That unit does not have Down Imaging. It has composite Down Imaging Views.
    The DI views are created by blending the two SI pulses.

iTracks is GPS data, that has nothing to do with sonar. You can turn sonar off and still do iTracks.

The whiteout is a glitch "way back when" caused by using Enhance Sharpness. Do you have the last software version installed?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be a doctor, would you?
    Lol

Computer doctor. Customers are roughly the same.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The whiteout is a glitch "way back when" caused by using Enhance Sharpness. Do you have the last software version installed?
    I just turned 'Enhance Sharpness' OFF and it fixed the problem. If the setting is at Low, Medium, or High, I get the whiteout. Thank you WAYNE!!!

I haven't done an update in 4 years. I guess it's time. I'm simply grateful the unit isn't broken.

Photo's below show DI Enhance Sharpness OFF (looks fine) and Enhance Sharpness LOW (Whiteout).
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    My foot is incredibly tasty this afternoon. Wayne FTW!!