Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If the pros signed a 3 year contract with BPT, there would have to be language in that contract to specify that BPT had exclusive rights to their services. BPT can not simply make up that rule now and impose it ex post facto. Same deal with any sponsor contracts that BPT signed with various companies. That contract would have to specify that those sponsors can not support competing circuits.
    Agree

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I don’t think it has great energy again. From my area of the world and being involved with BASS for several years, the energy is at an all time low. A lot of big sponsors are down in the dumps and confused on what route to go. Every area is different though. Your area may be enjoying the no name guys.....I’ll say this, those Johnston boys can catch a damn fish!!
    Agree, the classic had a funeral vibe to it

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Did you ever find the link to that "initial report"? I could never find it.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post

Of course it did to you.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Of course it did to you.
    Yeah, a funeral with 153k mourners.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Yeah, a funeral with 153k mourners.

Stop making sense. You know everyone in attendance was solemn and sad.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Not going by interest in my area as much as I am the industry people I talk to. I'm willing to bet more sponsor companies are worried about the latest BPT rule in regards to anglers than anything right now. Not sure how well that news was taken by some companies.
    Some will push back I'm sure, the one thing to mention here is that most of the MLF/BPT sponsors have visibility and context for what their plans are and get information in advance of those here on the forums etc. They do a solid job of communicating with partners through their email, conference calls and their sponsor summit. Those with the biggest issue will be brands who are on the outside looking in and have anglers that they'll want in the booths come Classic time. Those days are coming to and end quickly and I think you won't see much cross promotion and love moving forward. Brands are going to have to make a decision if they want to take a hard line with an angler or anglers.

I've only been in this business for 11 years but I've said since day one that there needed to be one professional series and one clear winner for the sake of the sport. MLF/BPT principals are running a business and trying to win that race. It is what it is. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Jones View Post
    Some will push back I'm sure, the one thing to mention here is that most of the MLF/BPT sponsors have visibility and context for what their plans are and get information in advance of those here on the forums etc. They do a solid job of communicating with partners through their email, conference calls and their sponsor summit. Those with the biggest issue will be brands who are on the outside looking in and have anglers that they'll want in the booths come Classic time. Those days are coming to and end quickly and I think you won't see much cross promotion and love moving forward. Brands are going to have to make a decision if they want to take a hard line with an angler or anglers.

I've only been in this business for 11 years but I've said since day one that there needed to be one professional series and one clear winner for the sake of the sport. MLF/BPT principals are running a business and trying to win that race. It is what it is. Time will tell.

Gonna be interesting to see it play out no matter the outcome.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Bass & Flw for me every time. I honestly haven't saw one thing i've enjoyed about watching MLF. I think it pretty much sucks.
    Having fishing to watch on Tuesday-Wednesday at work is pretty good to me

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Without a doubt. The new guys have put a breath of life into BASS that the old that left had lost and it shows big time. Lots of stuff happening and a lot points to MLF struggling or atleast what appears to be. Seems they really thought, or planned, that they would kill BASS when they did all of this which is why I think they are still trying to polarize themselves from BASS. Reality is hitting them in the face though. I still think if they would just let the product dictate and sell itself they would be fine but with what seems to be going on they could potentially kill their own product. Seems like some really crooked workings behind the scenes and the anglers will not like that, especially the ones that arent the original 24
    Can you post some details on how MLF is struggling. There guys are making more money than the other tours without paying an entry fee. Agree 40 don't get a check at each event. But at FLW 100 are not. At Bass half the field is getting 7500 with the other half getting 2500. All of them paying 5000.00 to fish. Most will be lucky to break even at the end of the year.

BPT has yet to produce a TV show yet. There live coverage we get to see will be produced into the shows.

Time will tell what happens.

I just don't understand all the negative thoughts on something that will not be able to be evaluated until after the TV shows are on next year. But I guess you guys need something to complain about.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post
    Can you post some details on how MLF is struggling. There guys are making more money than the other tours without paying an entry fee. Agree 40 don't get a check at each event. But at FLW 100 are not. At Bass half the field is getting 7500 with the other half getting 2500. All of them paying 5000.00 to fish. Most will be lucky to break even at the end of the year.

BPT has yet to produce a TV show yet. There live coverage we get to see will be produced into the shows.

I just don't understand all the negative thoughts on something that will not be able to be evaluated until after the TV shows are on next year. But I guess you guys need something to complain about.
    Just opinion bud. I dont claim it to be any more than that. Time will tell what happens for sure. I'm not all negative on MLF either, just on some of the actions that they are taking. Heres a thought, many of these guys have the opinion that there should be one pro league. The only way that happens is if you can kill BASS. So they left BASS knowing they could buy FLW and thought it would kill BASS and leave MLF as the sole pro league. That makes perfect sense to those guys with the money to do so and would make a huge argument as to why some of these guys jumped ship. Well, now BASS seems to be doing just as good, if not better, and that throws a huge wrench into their plans. Maybe because to float their boat they need every dollar they can squeeze out of any sponsor out there, I really dont know. So now they send a letter to tell sponsors that they can either stay with MLF soley or not at all. That just seems to me that they know they are in trouble if they cant (a) get all that sponsor money to themselves or (b)hurt BASS enough to basically kill them off. It's just all opinion anyway and like I said before, I truly think all 3 can survive as is but let the product sell itself and quit all the fighting and jabbing and all that. This is an extremely small market and that kind of stuff will hurt you fast. Just an example, the platinum trail a group around here tried to do. BIG money team trail that would have filled up every year (limited spots). Mismanaged with changing rules and stuff and it was gone before the first year was ever done with really. Word of mouth killed that trail quick and I could see it happening at any level if they start getting stupid with some of the changes

12. Member
    Can someone explain how bass fishing sponsorship works. Because the Way everyone here is talking, it’s seems to work different than motorbike racing(which I know) and racing is the the most similar sport to bass fishing.

Everyone keeps talking about entry fees. What fees are these guys paying? If they are paying entry fees, then they need to look into hiring people to negotiate their sponsor contracts.

About the only cost these big name guys should have is, the truck, boat and tackle. Boat and tackle will come discounted and possibly the truck.

So I’m confused as the why big name guys are complaining or worried about entry fees.

Up and comers, yes, more cost but that’s how it works.

13. Member
    Have a question, did Bass Pro pull its sponsorship from BASS?

i can see MLF sponsorship thing work if they feel like they have enough nonendemic sponsors to hand to anglers. If MLF bought FLW, that is when I believe BASS will have a problem.

What can the sponsors really say though? It’s a monopoly starting with Johnny M. How do you bow up when as like TH or Lowrance bulk sales come from JM company. They won’t in fear of losing over 1/2 their business.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BP41 View Post
    Can someone explain how bass fishing sponsorship works. Because the Way everyone here is talking, it’s seems to work different than motorbike racing(which I know) and racing is the the most similar sport to bass fishing.

Everyone keeps talking about entry fees. What fees are these guys paying? If they are paying entry fees, then they need to look into hiring people to negotiate their sponsor contracts.

About the only cost these big name guys should have is, the truck, boat and tackle. Boat and tackle will come discounted and possibly the truck.

So I’m confused as the why big name guys are complaining or worried about entry fees.

Up and comers, yes, more cost but that’s how it works.
    Even teams in NASCAR pay an entry fee every week before they show up.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Yep, no one knows that
    it is not on TV , it streams live on the computer during the tournament
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post

Lol, they're not struggling at all.

I have watched them both and I prefer BASS Live over anything else. The conversation and analysis are great. Zona and Hite have the knowledge and good timing, and Sanders is like the perfect straight man.

18. robdy72
    MLF wants to be the only game in town. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    What channel does BPT come on TV?
    Bass Pro Tour competitions & championship airing as originals on Discovery Channel, Saturday mornings, later this year with re-airs on Sportsman Channel in 20/20

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdy72 View Post
    MLF wants to be the only game in town. I don't think that's ever going to happen.
    I agree. While i'm a fan of all three circuits...if push comes to shove, i'd bet BASS would be the last man standing. It's got superior name recognition, and it has, and probably will always have stronger sponsor support.

Things can certainly change though. But if MLF/BPT starts over regulating their anglers...I believe it will backfire.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast