Need a little advice or help.

I have a 2000 mercury 225 efi that I blew the power head up on a couple of years ago and I had it replaced...
    A little back history. When I first got the boat, a 2000 Triton tr21, it would only run 58 mph and 5200rpm, took it to a boat mechanic and one of my coils was unplugged and it was running on 5 cylinders. Got that corrected and it would do 74mph all day long..
    Fast forward to new power head. Got it replaced and boat will only do 58 59 mph on a good day and 5200 rpm, which tells me it is running on 5 cylinders again.. took it to the mechanic 3 Times and they cant find anything wrong, compression is good on all cylinders.
    So today I go out to fool around with it and I have it running in muffs and I'm pulling plug wire to see if motor changes when I pull a wire.. trying to find the culprit of which cylinder isn't running.. well everything changes the sound of the motor except one plug wire and it shocks the piss out of me everytime I touch it..
    I swapped the wire with another on the motor and its definitely the wire has an issue..
    I guess my question is, is that, or could that be the reason why my boat is running on 5 cylinders?
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Yes, replace the wire.

3. Member
    I'd replace the entire set if they are all original.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    OTO89510 theres the serial number, what wires do I need to get?

5. Member
    All six.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    All six.
    I know that, what kind do I need to order there are several different kinds

7. Member
    Pretty sure there is only ONE Mercury part number for the plug wires used on your motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Pretty sure there is only ONE Mercury part number for the plug wires used on your motor.
    How do I find which ones I need? I googled my motor yr, size, and make and it gives me different options, I talked to a guy that said I would need to look it up from serial # but I cant find anything to tell me

9. Member
    Yep you need the serial number to order parts.

10. Member
    Save yourself the hassle, with engine serial number in hand - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax