Looking at a charger/ comparison

Looking at sub 19 footers on line and came across chargers. So the 176 has a very big what i would call chamfered transom. Also looked at the 186 and the transom is more traditional flat. Anyone know the reason or is it just aesthetics?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Charger's the last of the deep V wedge hulls to be made. They've tweeked em over the years depending on make and model.

3. Banned
    I was told it was built in set back. Exactly what performance gains does it give the hull? I'm not 100% sure better hole shot maybe. I know it makes the rear deck feel bigger.

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The 186-396 were designed for the heavier four strokes,the 496-596 were already wide enough and less of the wedge of the past models .

Correct. They followed Champions mantra w they splashed the 86 inch beam Champ in the 80s. This was pre jackplate era. Helps in hole shot, turning and weight. The 176 Charger is about as close to you can get to the old Mt. Home Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I was told it was built in set back. Exactly what performance gains does it give the hull? I'm not 100% sure better hole shot maybe. I know it makes the rear deck feel bigger.

6. Member
    charger was doing it before champion and started in business before champion as well. The rear step/notch was mike causeys innovation to alleviate the need for jackplates but we all found a jack still helped performance even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Correct. They followed Champions mantra w they splashed the 86 inch beam Champ in the 80s. This was pre jackplate era. Helps in hole shot, turning and weight. The 176 Charger is about as close to you can get to the old Mt. Home Champs.

7. Member
    Now you did it Ed!

Thanks everyone. Wish the 176 was more like 178. I dont want less than a 150 hp motor. I am extremely limited on space.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Look at the 186 great size and rated for 175,176 is rated for 150

Quote Originally Posted by Merc Doc View Post
    charger was doing it before champion and started in business before champion as well. The rear step/notch was mike causeys innovation to alleviate the need for jackplates but we all found a jack still helped performance even more.
    To the best of my recollection, Chargers first V hull boats were merely a remake of their pad hulls that they chopped the sponsons off.
    I bought a new 747XLT pad hull in 1978, late in the summer a guy in my bass club purchased the 747XLV, the new V hull version of mine. He let me take it out for a spin one day on Kincaid lake in Illinois on a busy Saturday afternoon before our night tournament.
    I was unimpressed to say the least. 1st off, those Charger pad hulls were rated for a 125hp motor but back then your choices were a 115 or over power with a 140 or 150. The Chargers were heavy well made boats but were begging for more HP. That V hull in particular, needed more hp to get the hull out of the water. It was very nervous in bigger swells and felt really nosey.

I don’t remember Charger having a wedge type V hull till a few years later in the 80’s. Champion was already building at least 3 or 4 different models of their wedge v hulls by then.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Look at the 186 great size and rated for 175,176 is rated for 150
    LOVE my 186. Its got the 150 on it, sometimes I wish I had the 175, but thats a want not a need.