Livescope for trolling

I am looking to buy a live scope and I have read it will shoot a beam up to 200', I troll for crappie and I am trying to justify paying the money if it will help catch more fish. I troll 1/8 oz road runners 75' behind the boat and 10' down, i am wondering if the jig will show up on the screen. Thanks for your help.

2. Member
    I seen a short video of jigs being longlined behind a boat at about 40 feet and you cold see them ok. I'm not saying you can't but a 1/8 oz jig 70 feet behind a boat is asking allot.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Speck of dirt goo luck

4. Member
    I struggle marking small crappie jigs on panoptix or livescope past about 20ft. Id say 30 is about max. Not sure about a road runner that might show up better.

Maybe 50' max.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    Thanks guys, i was skeptical, it would likely work for trolling crank baits but I wanted to see proof before i spent the money.

7. Member
    I have used both, PS31 and LiveScope, I would take the PS31 for what you are looking for. The detail is much better on the LiveScope but with the higher frequency you give up range. IMHO

8. Member
    There was a post on the crappie forum https://www.crappie.com/crappie/fish...pe-long-lining

One of the guys said he has a portable livescope, said he can put it on the front or the back of the boat. He has a video of his baits about 30 to 40 feet from his livescope. If you look in the middle of the screen on the video you will see he is moving his baits.

My livescope is mounted on a pole on the side of my 14 foot jon boat about 1/3 from the front of the boat. Ive tried a few times to see my 1/16 ounce jigs while longlining but never did see the jigs. I was crappie fishing yesterday and using the pinch to zoom while vertical fishing. Just had an idea, next time I'm going to measure out 40 feet of line and get the boat trolling .... pinch zoom that segment of the screen and see if I can find my jig by scanning with livescope.
    Last edited by SkippyJack; 04-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azbohunter View Post
    I have used both, PS31 and LiveScope, I would take the PS31 for what you are looking for. The detail is much better on the LiveScope but with the higher frequency you give up range. IMHO
    Exactly set at 15 degrees