? about upgrading to new units .

I have a 998 and 958 that are nine years old now and both function nearly flawlessly . I plan to get a new boat in the near future and would like to upgrade to new technology for depth finders . Unfortunatly all I read here every day is how every ones new product has some kind of glitch in it . It would seriously piss me off to spend 4k or more to replace what I already have with something that only works on sunny calm 72* days with low relative humidity maybe . Initially I would be keeping the old units as they are shared between two different boats . If I had a problem I could just fall back on the old tried and true . How many of you that have newer units are overall happy with your purchase ? How many that have newer units with problems would still purchase the same ones again ? I don't want to buy 4k worth of paper weights . Please help me decide .

2. Member
    I bought a 2019 Skeeter that came with Helix 12 G3N and a 9 G3N I can't stand them, stops reading depths anytime you get in 5 feet of water or less and I'm not impressed with the DI. I do like the SI. I miss my Lowrances like you wouldn't believe.

3. Member
    Bought two helix 12 MEGA SI G2N’s last year coming from HDS-8 units. Installed and setup myself with help from the crew here. Yes, I’ve had some learning curves and I had to work through depth issues that Humminbird is working to correct but I would do it again...actually just added another helix 12 over the winter. You will find plenty of complaints but, myself included, I was uninformed of how advanced this equipment is. Some time tinkering and reading I love’em.

4. Member
    Happy with mine

5. Member
    I would suggest you hang out on the Lowrance and Garmin sites. You will see problems on all of them. All have hardware/software issues and issues with people who do not read manuals or follow suggestions to fix install or boat issues(wiring and such). I have had many Lowrance and Humminbird units over the years. There are no units that don't have issues from time to time. The last 10 years have been with HB and my next unit will be HB. JMHO Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I have a 998 and 958 that are nine years old now and both function nearly flawlessly . I plan to get a new boat in the near future and would like to upgrade to new technology for depth finders . Unfortunatly all I read here every day is how every ones new product has some kind of glitch in it . It would seriously piss me off to spend 4k or more to replace what I already have with something that only works on sunny calm 72* days with low relative humidity maybe . Initially I would be keeping the old units as they are shared between two different boats . If I had a problem I could just fall back on the old tried and true . How many of you that have newer units are overall happy with your purchase ? How many that have newer units with problems would still purchase the same ones again ? I don't want to buy 4k worth of paper weights . Please help me decide .

6. Member
    Proper install and learn how to use them will help prevent at least 95% of all issues

I don't have one of the units that have had depth lock issues ... that would be VERY frustrating if attemting to do mapping. In spit of those problems, it seemed that knowledgable users were able to get reliable readings from their units. I have never been shy about telling Humminbird what I don't like but it because I think they need to know that in order to improve their units.

My next purchase will be based on what functions the unit has ... it could be a Garmin Livescope, but will probably be a mega SI unit from Humminbird. There is no doubt that Humminbird is still the king of SI and that is the most important tool to me ..... so far. The mapping options from Humminbird are great as well.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

8. Member

There more to go wrong with today's more powerful and complex electronics, software and hardware, and proper installation is critical. I've always been impressed with Humminbird's CS, and technical support staff. They have taken care of me more than once outside the warranty period. HB units are assembled in the USA, and their CS is right here in the USA, not India.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    There more to go wrong with today's more powerful and complex electronics, software and hardware, and proper installation is critical. I've always been impressed with Humminbird's CS, and technical support staff. They have taken care of me more than once outside the warranty period. HB units are assembled in the USA, and their CS is right here in the USA, not India.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

11. Banned
    Happy with my Helix 10's.I have not had the depth issue some people have.Went through flat the other day,got as shallow as 3 fow set on 2d to see what it would do had no false reading.

12. Member
    I just took a count with the other boards to see who is having the most problems . It seems as though we are . Just based on the thread title on the first page of the hb forum 10 issues , lowrance 3,garmin 3. raymarine 0. I didn't read into each thread so the contents might be more problematic than the title . I hope there are just that many more hb users than the others but I doubt that many . I probably will still upgrade with hb but I might just wait a little while longer . Maybe when a good sale comes along or if the boat dealer has a good deal I might jump on it now . Besides I have put plenty of time and money in auto chart map making I would hate to go back to square one with a different company's stuff .

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    I just took a count with the other boards to see who is having the most problems . It seems as though we are . Just based on the thread title on the first page of the hb forum 10 issues , lowrance 3,garmin 3. raymarine 0. I didn't read into each thread so the contents might be more problematic than the title . I hope there are just that many more hb users than the others but I doubt that many . I probably will still upgrade with hb but I might just wait a little while longer . Maybe when a good sale comes along or if the boat dealer has a good deal I might jump on it now . Besides I have put plenty of time and money in auto chart map making I would hate to go back to square one with a different company's stuff .
    Do keep in mind that HB units also have far more features, and are better than, those others you mentioned. By necessity, that means there are more nerd knobs to be twisted. When twisted by those lacking the knowledge of what happens when they are twisted, complaint posts happen.