Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

340V something special

So... she is a small boat at 16'10", but there is something incredibly fishable about this boat!

- also - on the way back in today - down a long straight, we hit a couple of miles of 2-3' rollers. She handles them like a champ - like a much bigger boat. She rides just right without falling off the wave, ... and there's just enough V on the bow to cut and enough flare to stop the dive. Every time I get into big waves like that, I am reminded how much I love... and am impressed by this little boat.

Those waves today were no joke, and a loss of power would've been... bad. haha... they were that big.

Kudos to FW and the boys that made Rangers in the 80s.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    So... she is a small boat at 16'10", but there is something incredibly fishable about this boat!

- also - on the way back in today - down a long straight, we hit a couple of miles of 2-3' rollers. She handles them like a champ - like a much bigger boat. She rides just right without falling off the wave, ... and there's just enough V on the bow to cut and enough flare to stop the dive. Every time I get into big waves like that, I am reminded how much I love... and am impressed by this little boat.

Those waves today were no joke, and a loss of power would've been... bad. haha... they were that big.

Kudos to FW and the boys that made Rangers in the 80s.
    Be careful and don't take any unnecessary chances in those big rollers. I nearly sunk by z521c on Guntersville this February. It was the scariest thing I've encountered in my 20 years of boating. One minute I'm in rough 2-3 footers, the next minute I've got a 4+ footer coming over the bow. Thankfully, both my co-angler and I had our life vests on and stayed in the boat. And we never lost power. Another wave like that one and we would have been knocked out of the boat, no doubt. As it was, the entire boat was flooded. The good Lord was with us that day for sure.

Be safe.

3. Member
    - woah!! always... Guntersville is a different kind of big - this was just the Cumberland in Nashville... she gets nasty on the straights but is "small water" and predictable... still - your point is valid.

4. Member
    My first boat was a 340 V. Bought it in 92 at the ripe old age of 19. 150 Johnson GT blew up after a few months and had my mechanic throw the kitchen sink at it while rebuilding it. Big carbs, porting, exhaust, etc. After I got it back that thing was a damn death trap Really bad chine walk, and when aired out the ass end would wiggle back and forth. It also would get air on a boat wake and those 3 footers you mention would get the prop out of the water if hit at full tilt. I used and abused it for about 2 years then bought an 18' Shadow and put my motor on that. I will say that little Ranger outran a bunch of boats back then. Outside of Bullets, Allisons, etc there wasn't much I couldn't pass. So in saying all this, my advice is to keep the power at a reasonable level and it'll make a fine little fishing boat. If you decide to hot rod it be prepared for a few near death experiences.

5. Member
    Haha... that is a LOT of horses (175) on a very little boat!

I know all those behaviors - that wiggle/side slip is horrible - don't have that with a 4 blade prop - (stopped the blowouts too) - and I don't see the speeds she is capable of either. ... she and I know where the edge is... and we keep it at a distance. - being that wide and that short... it is not a stable platform at high speed.

- Have a new bass cat as well... and yes, that is night and day difference.

6. Member
    I had a 340 with a Mercury XR6 150hp. Was a great boat. It would fly.

I wish a manufacturer would build something like that again....I know Skeeter along with Ranger made a 16' that held a 150hp. I am limited to smaller boats due to storage in my driveway.
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

Quote Originally Posted by allen656 View Post
    I wish a manufacturer would build something like that again....I know Skeeter along with Ranger made a 16' that held a 150hp. I am limited to smaller boats due to storage in my driveway.
    Charger 176.

I had a 340 when they first came out, pretty good little boat, they do run well in the right hands, also they do bennefit from more setback, I end up at 10" and made a big difference.

10. Member
    I am at 6" setback - but honestly, because this is not the "go-fast" rig, aside from putting a 4 blade prop on it, I have not touched the setup in the 3 years I've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Charger 176.
    Thank you
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

12. Member
    - also check out the BassCat Margay. 17'7" - rated for a 150. - We have an '18 Pantera Classic, and it made me a believer in all-things BassCat.

The 340 was the fastest hull Ranger ever put out. I heard that Forest is the one that pulled the plug on them. Too fast
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    340V wasnt the fastest hull. But they where a handful to say the least,,,,too short, too wide and over powered. I had a 84 340V with a 200 OMC on it. Talk about scary......

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

15. Member
    The 330 was the fastest with a 225 hp merc . Milled heads , cut exhaust , mod lower unit ,solid motor mounts and a mazco built chopper 28 turning 6500 was fast and fun to drive . I don’t how fast it was but it hurt a lot of feelings . 1986 1987 something .

16. Member
    I fished in the 1986 Bassmaster Texas Invitational on Sam Rayburn. I was paired with a Ranger sponsored Pro from Ohio day 2 and he had a Ranger 340V. It was rough all three days but we made it back to weigh in. I really liked that boat. By the way, I don't consider it small....I've owned small...15'-16' boats. The 340 is 17' and wide.....wish it was still made, I would own one.

20180313_010513.png
    1985 340v 1995 Mercury 2.5 200 xri 12 inch jackplate 78.1 gps
    1978 hydrostream vandal comp
    2011 hydrostream venom comp
    1994 bullet 20xd
    1985 ranger 340v
    2017 xpress xp7

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    The 340 was the fastest hull Ranger ever put out. I heard that Forest is the one that pulled the plug on them. Too fast
    A too fast Ranger? Lol

19. Member
    My first glass rig was a 1983 Ranger 350v with a Mercury 150 Black Max I bought in 1998. Boat wasn't bad but that motor really sucked and would pick the worst times to try and flood out. Had to come off plane in rough water more than once, throw the motor into high idle to blow it out and then try to get moving again without swamping.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayton bigsby View Post
    20180313_010513.png
    1985 340v 1995 Mercury 2.5 200 xri 12 inch jackplate 78.1 gps
    Nice! I like it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast