Merc fuel issue? FLOAT SWITCH?

Motor is a 2012 90 four stroke, serial #1b926235 with roughly 8 hours on it. It dies out within the first 30 seconds anything over 4000rpm, sputters, kinda clears up, then comes back intermittently. I thought I fixed it by tightening some fuel lines and changing out the fuel filters. Haven’t pulled the spark plugs yet. I’ve read about possibly being a float switch issue in the FSM; called 2 local Merc dealers about the float switch and they seemed to think the float switches aren’t an issue, internet searches say otherwise

2. Member
    Problem was fuel lift pump and float switch incase anyone encounters the same issue

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    More than likely was the float switch causing the problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Been there done that. Seems fairly common. Glad you got it figured out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhauck View Post
    Problem was fuel lift pump and float switch incase anyone encounters the same issue