Lunker hunter

Kerr Lake Flemingtown Ramp

What kind of Ramp is Flemingtown? Army COE or NC Parks? What the deal with the COE trying to hit clubs with a tourney fee these days? Anyone have any info? Thanks!

2. Banned
    The ramp at Flemington is free no fees or was the last time I was there. I think all tournaments have to have a permit on all lakes in NC.

Flemingtown, Hibernia and County Line are NC Wildlife ramps. Most everything else is owned by the corps.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

4. Fishing is a Passion
    Ramp Fees and Tournament permit are two different issues
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

5. Member
    Kerr is a Corps of Engineering lake. Per their website there is a fee for any tournament taking place on the lake using public ramps. This has been know by some for a long time but wasn't really enforce or made too public by the COE. They're just starting to enforce and publicize what been policy for years.

Not saying I agree with it but this isn't something that's new.

Make sure you use your gps to navigate into the ramp if u never been there. Many a trucks and boats have missed the turn into the ramp and ended up off the road. Its a quick turn in there and the road looks like its going to keep going, but it dont
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Any tournament on Kerr’s water, regardless of size or ramp requires a paid permit from the CoE according to Park Rangers. Permits must be secured from and paid to the CoE.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

In my earlier post, I passed the information I received from the CoE Parks Ranger Glenn Card. I followed up that conversation with a few phone calls to Raleigh this morning. I spoke to the Permitting Office and the Enforcement Division, both for the NCWRC. Neither had ever heard of these fees and additional permit requirements. The Enforcement Division recommended that I speak to the NCWRC Conservation Officer responsible for that specific area. I called NCWRC Conservation Officer Young and we discussed this very issue in great detail. He informed me that as long as we permitted by the NCWRC to hold our tournament at whatever NCWRC ramp, in this specific case Flemingtown, and that we all launch and recover from Flemingtown and that we conduct the weigh in on the NCWRC property (Flemingtown Landing ramp is confirmed to be NCWRC property)and that we have our NCWRC permit in possession, then we are legal and that we DO NOT need to pay to acquire any other permit from the CoE. Officer Young informed me that he is going to call Ranger Card to get to the bottom of this because he has no legal jurisdiction to charge permitted clubs/trails for using the NCWRC ramps nor does he have the legal jurisdiction to issue any citations or tickets on NCWRC property. Hope this helps.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

9. Banned
    Thanks for the info. Sometimes it takes some digging to find out what is right.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    In my earlier post, I passed the information I received from the CoE Parks Ranger Glenn Card. I followed up that conversation with a few phone calls to Raleigh this morning. I spoke to the Permitting Office and the Enforcement Division, both for the NCWRC. Neither had ever heard of these fees and additional permit requirements. The Enforcement Division recommended that I speak to the NCWRC Conservation Officer responsible for that specific area. I called NCWRC Conservation Officer Young and we discussed this very issue in great detail. He informed me that as long as we permitted by the NCWRC to hold our tournament at whatever NCWRC ramp, in this specific case Flemingtown, and that we all launch and recover from Flemingtown and that we conduct the weigh in on the NCWRC property (Flemingtown Landing ramp is confirmed to be NCWRC property)and that we have our NCWRC permit in possession, then we are legal and that we DO NOT need to pay to acquire any other permit from the CoE. Officer Young informed me that he is going to call Ranger Card to get to the bottom of this because he has no legal jurisdiction to charge permitted clubs/trails for using the NCWRC ramps nor does he have the legal jurisdiction to issue any citations or tickets on NCWRC property. Hope this helps.
    this has always been my understanding of the rule. As long as not launching out of a va ramp. When I read the eairly post, I was wondering if something had changed. Thanks for clearing it up

As per the other thread on this, the COE website states a permit is required to hold a tournament on Kerr lake. I would say the ramp you use is irrelevant because they are end in Kerr lake. ;) Also, as I said in the other thread on this topic, I think the NCWRC guy is just misinformed.

https://www.saw.usace.army.mil/Locat...pecial-Events/
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Perhaps the CoE guy is misinformed as to what applies for NC and NCWRC ramps. I can totally see him being correct IF we were within the park within Virginia. However after speaking to three different NCWRC officials who have all said that they have never heard of this and that this is not the case, I think I will hedge my bet with three vs one. https://www.ncwildlife.org/Boating/W...g-Access-Areas
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Its your decision of course but the COE website is pretty clear about it. I don't think the Corps would really care at all about what a park official might have told you.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    I hate to say this and I could be wrong! But CoE have final say on what goes on in that lake and around it!
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

15. Banned
    This sounds like whether you are required to have weighted tags or not on your truck? Get a different answer from every LEO and license agency employee you ask. Remember when they gave out all those tickets when the out of state guys were towing those big boats at the redfish tourney off the NC coast that year that caused a big stink??

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Its your decision of course but the COE website is pretty clear about it. I don't think the Corps would really care at all about what a park official might have told you.
    I think you and I can agree that the situation is unfortunately confusing for the tournament anglers on Kerr. On one hand you have the CoE saying one thing and in the other hand you have the NCWRC saying another. I’m like you in regards to a Park Ranger but this is not the case. I can tell you from speaking to both entities, neither one really cares what the other might have told me. That’s specifically why I asked the NCWRC if they would come by for our weigh in so just in case someone from the CoE was there saying something different than the NCWRC (which btw I was assured that the NCWRC would be there to ensure that we did not have any problems). It really is unfortunate for all of us that are trying to ensure that we are doing the right thing though, don’t you agree?
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    This sounds like whether you are required to have weighted tags or not on your truck? Get a different answer from every LEO and license agency employee you ask. Remember when they gave out all those tickets when the out of state guys were towing those big boats at the redfish tourney off the NC coast that year that caused a big stink??
    Exactly! It shouldn’t be this hard. One thing I do when dealing with issues like this is to inform whoever I’m speaking with at whatever agency that they are representing that agency and that if I’m ever ticketed for this, they will be standing in front of the judge as a representative of that agency. I can’t stand well this guys says this and this guy says that, hogwash. How hard is it to get it together??
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS