Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger Warranty department wont help me!

So here is my situation, I have a 9 year old Z521 that has transom issues. When I found the issue I started researching on here and found threads about this and how there was a 10 year warranty and that it would be 6 months to get it fixed. I was already considering buying a new one this year or next. So I thought not a big deal I will buy a new one this year and sell my old one once it gets fixed. I had already looked at a boat a couple weeks earlier so I knew which one I wanted. It was a quick phone call, a deposit and I had a new boat getting ready. I wasn't even upset, I understand things break and I own a Ranger and they will stand behind there product.

Well things changed pretty quickly when I made the phone call to Ranger. I bought my boat 6 years ago and having never owned a Ranger before this I didn't know I had to transfer the warranty. I bought the boat privately. So Ranger warranty tells me that the boat is within the 10 year time line but they wont cover it because I didn't do the paper work. On top of that they tell me that I had 5 years to do it and that if I did it last year I would be covered.

Now I'm sure everyone is going jump all over me for talking bad about Ranger and that it is all my fault. And I agree I should of done more research when I bought the boat. I just can't believe that a company like Ranger that everyone says stands behind their product is going to use this to get out of fixing my boat.

Now My biggest regret is buying another one.

I can say this for sure. This will be my last Ranger. I fish about a dozen local tournaments a year and just started fishing the Costas last year. Everyone is going to here my story and they can decide what they want to own.

2. Member
    Well, I actually think Ranger was being pretty generous. The verbiage in my warranty specifically says a 2nd owner must transfer the warranty at a Ranger Dealer and pay the transfer fee (at least mine does), and my warranty further says you must do it within the first 15 days of ownership.

Sorry that happened to you and sorry that you feel how you do, but when making a large purchase, it is best to review all the paperwork and know what you are doing, especially when doing a private party deal. I bought mine private party, but my local dealer was more than happy to help me transfer the warranty, and actually has treated me the same as if I had bought the boat from him. Net, Used transactions are usually "As-Is" and "Let the Buyer Beware."

Not going to jump all over you about talking any way you want, but I will simply state my opinion that its possible you didn't do your due diligence and Ranger really has no legal obligation to assist you. Now, would it be nice if they did...yes it would. If that affects your future purchase decisions, that is your prerogative.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Banned
    I can understand your frustration, I as well purchased a used ranger from original owner. It was a very low hour boat in show room condition. I called ranger and Mercury before i made the purchase and insured thier warranty was transferable. The merc warranty was easy, just pay $50 and fax them a form. The ranger transfer was a little more in depth that involved me trailering the boat to a ranger dealer and here in Ontario there are not many. I took it to the dealer that the boat was originally purchased from and this dealer has a very poor reputation. The guy I dealt with made me feel like I was a burden on his life. He looked over the hull, checking things like the transom, pad and a dozen other things he had on a check list. The boat had/has zero issues and he gave it a pass. I had to pay $100 for the warranty transfer and the guy there questioned me being the seconded owner (jackass) even tho it only had 1 previously registered owner. He said he was going to fax the paper work to ranger. I have a copy of the check list the dealer filled out with my transfer payment receipt. I didn't have much confidence with this dealer so if for some reason I have an issue down the road I have proof I did my due diligence. Your pissed off I get it however, there was a process and I had to waist half of my day following the process. It is what it is I guess.
    Last edited by jtracc; 04-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.

4. Member
    I agree with your frustrations. We're aware of their policy requiring transferring the warranty within 15 days of ownership, but what does have to do with the hull, how the boat has been treated/maintained, etc? To me, it looks like a way to make things difficult for the second owner receiving warranty work.

For the record, I own a Ranger, I'm happy with it, but I don't agree with their warranty transfer policy and I feel like the original poster is getting the short end of the stick.

5. Member
    Ya I am pissed! first at myself, I drank the Ranger cool-aid and let it cloud my judgement. I have been in business for 20 years and I got here by always looking after my customers. Everything I read (mostly on here) said I'm buying the right brand and I didn't look any farther. Secondly with Ranger they are basically laughing in my face (Oh sorry buddy if you only came to us last year LOL).

They aren't even trying to work with me. Like how about a compromise, maybe we split it? Nothing, just go away.

So as far as I'm concerned I have a job to do. I have to tell my story to as many people as I can ( I registered for two more forums this morning). If I just save one other person who still has time to register then I have done a good thing. And if people don't buy Ranger because of it then so be it.

I drove 12 hours to the classic this year and had a great 1/2 conversation with Keith Daffron from Vexus. I was so impressed! As soon as they get a dealer up here I will be dumping my Ranger and buying a Vexus.

6. Member
    I meant to say 1/2 hour conversation with Keith.

7. Member
    Hey Jtracc.... what dealer out of curiousity... I find good boat service / dealer places are far and few in ontario...
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Quote Originally Posted by willywonka View Post
    Ya I am pissed! first at myself, I drank the Ranger cool-aid and let it cloud my judgement. I have been in business for 20 years and I got here by always looking after my customers. Everything I read (mostly on here) said I'm buying the right brand and I didn't look any farther. Secondly with Ranger they are basically laughing in my face (Oh sorry buddy if you only came to us last year LOL).

They aren't even trying to work with me. Like how about a compromise, maybe we split it? Nothing, just go away.

So as far as I'm concerned I have a job to do. I have to tell my story to as many people as I can ( I registered for two more forums this morning). If I just save one other person who still has time to register then I have done a good thing. And if people don't buy Ranger because of it then so be it.

I drove 12 hours to the classic this year and had a great 1/2 conversation with Keith Daffron from Vexus. I was so impressed! As soon as they get a dealer up here I will be dumping my Ranger and buying a Vexus.
    Spent the money on a Ranger and didn't do the required transfer and now wants to whine on the internet because Ranger has the audacity to expect you to comply with their policy. Save your story...its weak.

9. Member
    Today's Ranger isn't the same company as it once was. Who would have guessed?

10. Member
    One other thought...grandpa always said "son, you gather more bees with honey than you do with vinegar."

How about appealing your concern up the chain a bit. Call down to Flippin, maybe ask for the VP of Customer Service or the VP of Product Support and have a conversation. Not sure how far up the chain you pushed it..and it may just frustrate you more...but maybe you gotta get it to a level where someone can actually reverse the policy. That said, they have no legal requirement to help, so again, would just be out of goodwill...Possibly you did this already too, but unclear from your original post.

11. Member
    Yes I have gone as far up as I seem to be able to get and the answer is the same. I was very polite for the last two weeks. Its just a little hard to swallow that the only reason they are not standing behind their product is because some paperwork was not filled out. Its not like I'm looking to get a 20 year old boat fixed. I'm not saying its not my fault either. I just know if I treated my customers that way I would not be in business long.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    Today's Ranger isn't the same company as it once was. Who would have guessed?
    Agree Forest Wood does not own Ranger anymore and you are starting to see some of the changes Johnny Morris is making.

13. Member
    I always had my dealer do boat transfers when I was selling my boat. On the boats I have sold, he always told the new buyer and me what we had to do to transfer boat ownership to ensure continuous of warranty to the new owner.

While I never would buy a used boat, I always do my homework on warranty transfers so the new buyer is protected and more importantly that the new owner doesn't come back on me with problems. Simple process to find out what needs done.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willywonka View Post
    Yes I have gone as far up as I seem to be able to get and the answer is the same. I was very polite for the last two weeks. Its just a little hard to swallow that the only reason they are not standing behind their product is because some paperwork was not filled out. Its not like I'm looking to get a 20 year old boat fixed. I'm not saying its not my fault either. I just know if I treated my customers that way I would not be in business long.
    Found this link w/ a google search...FWIW:
    https://dealers.rangerboats.com/Rang...nformation.xls

15. Member
    Thank you ! Makes me wonder how people find stuff like that I can Google search for hours and not get that lucky ... as for Forest I met him at the bass master classic this year he was working the vexus booth. very nice man

16. Member
    Guys, I have kept to myself on my issue, but I have been going back and forth for over 2 months on some glass work that they need to cover. Will let you know how this shakes out.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Well, I actually think Ranger was being pretty generous. The verbiage in my warranty specifically says a 2nd owner must transfer the warranty at a Ranger Dealer and pay the transfer fee (at least mine does), and my warranty further says you must do it within the first 15 days of ownership.

Sorry that happened to you and sorry that you feel how you do, but when making a large purchase, it is best to review all the paperwork and know what you are doing, especially when doing a private party deal. I bought mine private party, but my local dealer was more than happy to help me transfer the warranty, and actually has treated me the same as if I had bought the boat from him. Net, Used transactions are usually "As-Is" and "Let the Buyer Beware."

Not going to jump all over you about talking any way you want, but I will simply state my opinion that its possible you didn't do your due diligence and Ranger really has no legal obligation to assist you. Now, would it be nice if they did...yes it would. If that affects your future purchase decisions, that is your prerogative.
    Nicely stated, Michael.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Spent the money on a Ranger and didn't do the required transfer and now wants to whine on the internet because Ranger has the audacity to expect you to comply with their policy. Save your story...its weak.
    This is all that needs to be said.... Yet, someone always wants to ask for a manager when they don’t get the answer they want.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

19. Member
    What is the point of having policies if when people don't follow them the expectation is that you treat them as if they had complied? That would be the same as not having a policy in the first place. I don't own a Ranger but this story wouldn't even come close to stopping me from buying one.

20. Member
    I understand your frustration, but I personally have zero issue with how Ranger handled the situation. Their policies are clear and not a secret. Sorry that you are having to deal with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast