USA Lost Canadians - Round 3

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have provided input in my last thread like this, asking...where the heck should we fish. Since my last opening of this thread, we originally fished guntersville, and now santee cooper twice. The most success we have had was on our first trip to Santee, however the fishing really has left something to be desired with really inconsistent action and long long stretches of very tough fishing. A heck of a lot of that had to do with weather. Both times in Santee, we ended up with a very stormy pattern moving in nicely to coincide with our camping trip which meant a daily routine involved getting run off of the lake by lightning.

I understand we are fishing the spring so stormy weather in the south is expected, but when you aint catching, and the storms are consistent and to top it off you have to sleep in tents, it makes for a soggy tough trip.

We all still really really enjoy the camping and the fishing, how could we not, we hadnt seen soft water in over 6 months, so just casting and fishing was a total blessing, however things have changed somewhat since my original request for input. I now own my own bassboat, which means the possibilities open up an absolutel ton in comparison to when we needed a lake with boat rentals available on it. What I am asking from BBC is some help and your opinion!

Our preference for timing for the absolute best bite would be from the begining of April to the end of May. Guntersville we were told was a better bite in late may, while santee we were told is more of an early April Bite.

The following is a list of our requirements

#1 priority the lake must fall within the highlighted area, the further north, the better, but dont tell me to fish erie, we want to go south and warm up a bit, the winters are long enough to go camping and freeze some more!

bb code img

#2 priority, the lake must have a tent campground to stay at with electricity (to charge the TM etc), preferably a state park or other quality campground where tenting is allowed. (guntersville state park and Santee were excellent)

#4 Hospitable - We absolutely loved Alabama and South Carolina and everything about it, the people were incredibly friendly, helpful and welcoming. Running into other fishermen on the lake in South Carolina, when we got to chatting and people found out we were from Toronto and were having some tough fishing, they all opened up to us to try put us on some fish. We even got stuck in half hour conversations with multiple friendly people out on the water.

#5 and this is a change from last time. Forget 10lbers and lunkers, we want some numbers! 2-3lb bass with an actual chance to catch regularly. I drove 36 hours my last trip to santee only to get personally skunked on bass for 4 days straight! the other guys in my boat caught a couple each but a 1 fish a day average is just too tough. (yes we definitely struggled because those lakes are huge and we are new, but in comparison to fishing in Ontario, 3 experienced anglers with all of the gear and knowledge we have combined should at least be able to muster up more than 1 small fish a day over the course of 4 days. Especially when locals have told you exactly where to fish. We threw every bait under the sun, at grass, pads, stumps, trees, creek channels you name it and nada!

Right now Chickaumaga looks like a potential good spot, but I worry that it would be much like Santee where the weather can throw havoc to the lake, and without really really knowing the spots you will totally end up skunked.

Let me know what you guys think! Let the debate begin!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

2. Member
    159 views no responses lol

I understand you guys dont want to blow out your lake. I can assure you, we are not tournament anglers, dont keep fish and will only be on your lake 3 days next year, I am even willing to trade you spots if you ever make your way up to Ontario. Heck I can even help out on Santee.

Even opinions on whats best out of Chickmauga, Santee, guntersville, hartwell, Murray, Norman, centre hill, cumberland etc. I am not looking to blow out any spots, so if you would rather keep it quite feel free to shoot me a PM simply with a lake name.

I know guys on this forum have strong opinions,and are also super helpful, thats just how the bass fishing community is. We all share the same passion and are typically super helpful to one another when showing mutual respect.

We really truly are a 3 honest canadian guys that just want to try get some bass fishing in and to get the heck away from the 30 inches of ice on our lakes every april. Nothing more! Once again any opinion provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

3. Member
    I'll give you a response: No matter where you go....Guntersville, Santee, Lake Fork, Okeechobee, ANYWHERE. You have to count on having at least 3 shitty days out of a weeks worth of fishing. The usual trip is like "you should have been here last week" or "your a week too early". You have to make the best of it and try to enjoy yourself. Good Luck!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    I'll give you a response: No matter where you go....Guntersville, Santee, Lake Fork, Okeechobee, ANYWHERE. You have to count on having at least 3 shitty days out of a weeks worth of fishing. The usual trip is like "you should have been here last week" or "your a week too early". You have to make the best of it and try to enjoy yourself. Good Luck!
    lol it disturbs me how accurate you are. Trust me, we were bummed out about how tough the fishing was for 4 days, but not for a second did we not enjoy ourselves. The camping really helps mitigate some of the downer feelings because camping and being outdoors with your best friends in the warmth is a great time. For me I also get to drive my boat for the first time in 6 months so thats a lot of fun as well!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

5. Member
    Smith Mountain lake, Douglas, Cherokee and Chickamauga.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Smith Mountain lake, Douglas, Cherokee and Chickamauga.
    by douglas and cherokee you are referring to the ones located in Tennessee? Any preference between the two? either better for numbers? Thanks for the input, I will be researching. Chick looks great, but Ive heard it can be a total ish show on the regular, plus combating the tournament schedule in the spring may have taken it out of the cards.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

7. Member
    My next trip to Alabama will be Smith Lake. I have never been there but everything I read points to good fishing and numbers in April, May and June.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

8. Member
    Guys think about Clark Hill last 2 weeks in April first 2 weeks of May . think top water, flukes, carolina rig . main lake and creek points and blow thrus for bass chasing spawning bluebacks . It can be so much fun . Just run and gun till you get bit .
    Also there are great camps on both side of the lake

9. Member
    Santee has been very tough for me thus year. The weather has been up and down. But alot of big weights are still being brought in. I believe it was one of the days you went to swamp. My team partner was up there that day, and he said he crushed them. He went back last Saturday and didn't put a fish in the boat. Santee is getting hammered with tournaments. I feel way too many. But, the fish are still there. I think they are just getting smart.

10. Member
    Green River Lake, Barren River Lake, Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Laurel River. All have state park campgrounds. Fishing can be fantastic between Apr-May but like anywhere weather can be a factor. My PB largemouth ( 7.2 ) and smallmouth ( 5.12 ) came from Green River during the months above.

11. Member
    The FLW tour caught 2lbers by the thousands last week at Cherokee.

12. Member
    Smith may be just a little bit too far for us. It’s a bloody long drive as it is but it’s never getting taken off of the table

Clark’s hill has me very intrigued as it even takes us down the same route as the way to santee. This allows us to still stop in with our buddy doyle at Carolina fishing tackle (a big part of our trip)

snags, I’m guessing green is your favourite spot because of the pb’s. Wild that you can get on smallmouth too. A treat for the guys down south. Obviously we are very spoiled when it comes to smalljaws so our focus would definitely be on the largies. At the same time that time of year the smallies even post spawn are up shallow and as angry as ever. If you were to honestly assess your suggestions, which is the best numbers lake out of the list. Do you think they all fish equal in that regard but green produces the bigger fish?

i think our honest preference would simply be to ensure that it’s warm, and that we hopefull catch some fish.

g string, it sounds to me like your buddy smashed em the weekend before we got there and then fished stumphole the same weekend we did the 13th. We also have a buddy down there that’s a board member, his friend the same morning fished the hatchery and slayed em. We went the same day and ended up with one fish in about 6 hours. Plus the crowds down there were much much worse than anywhere on the lake. I’m somewhat concerned with everything that I’m hearing that santee is headed the same path as the other big names like chick, Guntersville and KY. The catch and release is still having a mortality impact on the population.

We were fishing power and extremely finesse (something we’re accustomed to on the Great Lakes) and couldn’t fool much. If anything our more stupid presentations like a chatterbait or a whacky rigged senko were the only way to get a fish to bite. We were definitely Fishing fishy water too because our incidental catches were pretty wild just not the right type.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

13. Banned
    Norris, Douglas and Cherokee are all within a reasonable drive so if you hear on or the other is producing a change of plans isn't out of the question. Plus you can always do a side trip to Gatlinburg if the weather really take a dump for a day. Plus you could always call an audible he head over to Chick if you hear of some hawgs being caught. It's only an about 2 hours a way...

Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow would be another double header. In April and May the fish are shallow and easier to catch... Just watch your calendar and avoid the weekend the BFL tournaments are there, or head down and fish the tournament because after it's over you may pick up a few tips to make the rest of your stay more productive... Dan

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    by douglas and cherokee you are referring to the ones located in Tennessee? Any preference between the two? either better for numbers? Thanks for the input, I will be researching. Chick looks great, but Ive heard it can be a total ish show on the regular, plus combating the tournament schedule in the spring may have taken it out of the cards.
    Yes the ones in TN. And Smith Mountain Lake (in Virginia), not smith lake in Alabama. Smith mountain has some really nice small mouth as well as good numbers of largemouth. Also its a very beautiful lake and has clear water, the topwater bite in April and early may can be very good along with swimbait fishing. smith-mountain-lake

Here's a link for a big bass tour next week there.
    smith-mountain-lake-virginia
    Last edited by JayLaw; 04-19-2019 at 09:27 AM.

15. Member
    We'll tell you but we don't want to see anyone playing street hockey on the ramps.

16. Member
    You should have stopped in Va on your way south and fished Gaston or Kerr Res. I visited Lake Gaston every spring break for a number of years. Good fishing and very hospitable people. The guy in the convenience store even gave me all his Canadian change that he had saved up!

Hamilton Branch state park on Clarks Hill or Twin Lakes state park on Hartwell. Either place can deliver what you are looking for. I cant predict mother nature for you but both places are nice and have ramps within the camp ground.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

18. Member
    Good largemouth and tackle busting stripers at Old Hickory in Tenn.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    We'll tell you but we don't want to see anyone playing street hockey on the ramps.
    cant help but snizz a few ginos

what do you guys think about the weather at Smith Mountain in April?

My drive back this past weekend, on Monday things were pretty greasy, at 8pm in santee on sunday night it was still 78 degrees, by the time we got into West Virginia on Monday at noon it was 35 and snowing!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

20. Member
    We have many bass in these bayous on this Delta, but it would be a looong drive from Toronto. And, I suspect Canadians are looked at with suspect, due to many Cajuns being kicked outta there....