Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well after 19 days I'm back on the water....

Just had a case of bad luck with the 250 4 Stroke, at 7hrs this thing threw a rod through the block This happened on a March 30th which was only 15 days after I purchased it. Mercury sent me a new engine and a local dealer swapped it yesterday. Felt like a lifetime of waiting but I think this was handled fairly quick considering the production wait time. Hoping this one has no defects.
    721 ​ProXp

3. Member
    Every make and model motor will and does have these. Cars, Boats, ect... Could have been anything as the root cause.

Bad Luck but good to hear they took care of it quickly for you. I am more impressed at how quick they got you a new one than I am worried about mine or others.

Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    Every make and model motor will and does have these. Cars, Boats, ect... Could have been anything as the root cause.
    absolutely I'm not upset, things happen. Up until that point I was and still am very impressed with the 4 stroke. Its a absolute beast. Did 3hrs of break in yesterday on this one.
    721 ​ProXp

5. Member
    That sucks for a new boat, but glad Mercury was able to take care of you relatively quickly.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I launched my boat for its maiden voyage here in the North and at the dock was a guy with his boat tied up and motor cowling and shrouds laying all over the dock. I had no idea it was one of the new Mercs until he told me - was a 115 and not a 250 but he said the thing just died on him and he couldn't get it started again. I'm sure they will have some bugs but Merc will get it all straightened out.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

7. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Better now than later I guess. Glad to hear they took care of you.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

I am glad you had a positive experience. I want to ask a question out of curiosity. Did Mercury offer to send a complete new motor or did you request it. I have been told in most cases they just replace the powerhead under warranty.

I am assuming that was one of the new V8's.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I want to ask a question out of curiosity. Did Mercury offer to send a complete new motor or did you request it. I have been told in most cases they just replace the powerhead under warranty.
    They didn’t ask , just sent a new unit. I’m assuming since it was 2 weeks old with 7hrs and it had a huge hole in it
    721 ​ProXp

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Yes sir.
    721 ​ProXp

Quote Originally Posted by jdupre View Post
    Yes sir.
    Thanks for the info.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Thanks for the info.

all good shit happens , new one installed already broken in and surpassed the hours I had when the old one blew. Quick turnaround by Mercury
    721 ​ProXp

Quote Originally Posted by jdupre View Post
    all good shit happens , new one installed already broken in and surpassed the hours I had when the old one blew. Quick turnaround by Mercury

Did they do a new assembly or just they powerhead?

Glad to hear it's fixed! New products are going to have issues and your right it happens. I'm watching them but as long as my XB is purring I'll keep it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Yep, just boils down to a question of how many.

16. Member
    Yep, all of these responses are basically the same. Bad luck, shit happens, they took care of it, happens with new motors. If this would have been a G2, they would have been, junk motors, horrible design, would never own one, etc.!
    Pool 10

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Yep, all of these responses are basically the same. Bad luck, shit happens, they took care of it, happens with new motors. If this would have been a G2, they would have been, junk motors, horrible design, would never own one, etc.!
    You’re 100% correct. If this was a G2 shit would’ve got real

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Yep, just boils down to a question of how many.
    You will never know that answer. You will always hear the worst on the internet. Its more of percentage of failure; which again, we will never know what that number is. I hear of a Yammy breaking every week, but they have sold thousands over several years now. Does that make me worry about them? No
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

You will never know that answer. You will always hear the worst on the internet. Its more of percentage of failure; which again, we will never know what that number is. I hear of a Yammy breaking every week, but they have sold thousands over several years now. Does that make me worry about them? No
    Of course I won't. It was a statement, not a question. As bad as the internet is in your mind, if one reads enough posts and a certain subject pops up enough times, one can certainly get a feel for what's going on (eg, Ultrex). That said, the feedback on the new Merc ProXS 4S has been remarkably quiet so far which tells me it's going well.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Of course I won't. It was a statement, not a question. As bad as the internet is in your mind, if one reads enough posts and a certain subject pops up enough times, one can certainly get a feel for what's going on (eg, Ultrex). That said, the feedback on the new Merc ProXS 4S has been remarkably quiet so far which tells me it's going well.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast