Thread: Ultrex issue

Ultrex issue

I have a 112 ultrex so far I the motor has been great. Lately I have been noticing that when I'm operating it at a lower speed 1-4 the motor might not kick on when on momentary. I can dial the motor up to 6-8 and it will start all the time. Once running I can rotate the speed back down to 1-4 and it will remain running but once I let off the pedal it won't restart again.

Thanks

2. Member
    Not sure what you mean by one 1-4. Please explain what you intend to say.
    The speed knob is in increments of 0-100%. If you are saying it is not Starting from 10-40% but is Starting At 60 to 80% then there is a problem. I would say it is the speed rheostat and therefore the board would have to be changed.
    Should be under warranty and an ASC should be able to handle.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Csteff View Post
    I have a 112 ultrex so far I the motor has been great. Lately I have been noticing that when I'm operating it at a lower speed 1-4 the motor might not kick on when on momentary. I can dial the motor up to 6-8 and it will start all the time. Once running I can rotate the speed back down to 1-4 and it will remain running but once I let off the pedal it won't restart again.

Thanks
    I think you're probably talking 10 to 40% and 60 to 80%. When a motor starts it takes more to get it turning than it does to keep it running. I would first check the batteries and make sure they are delivering full voltage to the trolling motor when the switch is activated.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Sorry yes I meant 10-40%. I really doubt that the batteries are weak. They are less than a year old group 29s and I can fish 10 hrs on them. I have been reading about board issues and wondering if that may be the issue.
    Thanks for the feedback.

5. Member
    Never assume s battery is good, have them tested to be sure.

Check behind prop for weed buildup etc.

Might also want to check for a slight amount of water intrusion.
    Thats about the way mine first started acting.

7. Member
    Update on my ultrex. I do have water in the motor. So I pulled it apart the contacts to the brushes are pretty corroded. The front bearing is in good shape. The brass bushing has some corrosion I think that I can polish it up a bit and it will be ok. I really have no idea when the water could be coming in at all the seals seem to be in great shape. The ulrex is 2 months past warranty ��.

8. Member
    Update on my ultrex. I do have water in the motor. So I pulled it apart the contacts to the brushes are pretty corroded. The front bearing is in good shape. The brass bushing has some corrosion I think that I can polish it up a bit and it will be ok. I really have no idea when the water could be coming in at all the seals seem to be in great shape. The ulrex is 2 months past warranty ��.

Thanks for the update.
    Glad you found the issue-- thats sure what I thought by your description.
    You can go online and purchase the parts individually.. Might not be a bad idea to replace the brushes, seals and the bushing -there pretty cheap.

10. Member
    Minnkota extended the warranty to 3 years on the Ultrex a while back. Yours may still be under warranty but I don't know if you'll find an ASC who will work with you since you've opened it up.

11. Member
    Bring it up to culvert city. Ask for Buddy. Tell him Brad sent you.

12. Member
    I ended up ordering the parts myself. New armature, seals and brushes. It's not that complicated to assemble the motor. I just have no idea where the the water seeped in from.
    Last edited by Csteff; 05-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.

When you get finished put the motor in a water tub and pressure it up a little from top of shaft.
    I took some of that black flex seal and put a light coat all the way around it..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Not sure what you mean by one 1-4. Please explain what you intend to say.
    The speed knob is in increments of 0-100%. If you are saying it is not Starting from 10-40% but is Starting At 60 to 80% then there is a problem. I would say it is the speed rheostat and therefore the board would have to be changed.
    Should be under warranty and an ASC should be able to handle.
    My knob says 1-10

15. Member
    Thanks for the info, never thought of pressure testing it

16. Member
    Mine too.

17. Member
    The water most likely came from the rubber o-rings that hold the back or front together. Theres been more than a few that have had those 2 bolts come lose or weren't ever tight.