Speaker Install Nitro Z20

Has anyone installed a speaker in this area? I have a set of Kicker 6.5s and the Sonic Hub 2 and was hoping I could remove the black pad and install in this area on the driver and passenger side. I notice it has a slight curve in it so not sure if the gap that is going to leave will be filled by the foam gasket or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think factory placement is there or up on the next level, not positive. But I do know it would be easy for me to cut into the kick plate next to the rod ramp holders. It's hollow there. And with a nice grill cover wouldn't worry about passengers feet
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    According to my dealer's assessment before installing my speakers, that area is too thin and you would need to go up higher. I was told by the factory that one of the key spots on either the Z20 or Z19 is the panel in the front of the cooler. Call down to the factory and ask their opinion.

4. Banned
    I ha e a z18 too and was wondering if the OP’ers desired spot would work. On the Z18s the spot in front of the cooler is too small.

5. Member
    After much measuring and head scratching I ended up going in behind the cooler. I used 6.5 Kicker speakers. I purchased a 5 1/8 hole saw and had to cut out some foam between the hole and cooler liner but nothing major. They fit and sound great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good to
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    What was the depth before you get to the cooler? I've got a Z19 and looked there, but didn't think there would be enough clearance and would hit the cooler.

8. Member
    I don't recall the exact depth. The wall does have a slight angle to it and appears the higher you go the less room you have. I centered my holes 5" off each side and 6" off the floor.

9. Banned
    This is where I installed some speakers on my z18. I did have to purchase some low profile ones that had a slimmer backside; although, you could use a spacer on the outside with thicker speakers.
    Last edited by cav; 05-11-2019 at 12:37 PM.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info. I’ll have to measure and see if it’s possible.

11. Member
    Where did you put your receiver?

12. Member
    Factory spot is on the front of the cooler, just like fishnbound
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member

Receiver Location

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbound View Post
    After much measuring and head scratching I ended up going in behind the cooler. I used 6.5 Kicker speakers. I purchased a 5 1/8 hole saw and had to cut out some foam between the hole and cooler liner but nothing major. They fit and sound great.
    Your speakers look great and came out good. Where did you mount your receiver?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Your speakers look great and came out good. Where did you mount your receiver?
    I don’t know where he mounted it, but the factory location is on the drivers side panel.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    I use the Sonic Hub 2 and control it thru my Lowrance Units. Mounted in Starboard rod locker.

16. Member

Sonic Hub

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbound View Post
    I use the Sonic Hub 2 and control it thru my Lowrance Units. Mounted in Starboard rod locker.
    Good idea. I’ll check into that myself. Installing the exact same speakers in my z20 this coming weekend.