Question Vessel View and Operating Temp Question(:

Vessel View -

I installed my Vessel View and everything has gone really well. Very easy and simple install. When I hooked it up I immediately got a few codes (listed below), I have read various forum posts about “ghost faults” and I just want to make sure that these faults are normal ? I’ve got about three hours on my motor since having it rebuilt, I do not have any other Smartcraft Gauges.

2004 Mercury Optimax 225
    Serial - 0T975551

Fault Codes -
    38 - break in mode (I am aware that this is a legitimate code)
    82 - Oil level sensor
    75 - level sensor tank A (I have been having trouble with my starboard fuel gauge not working, is that what this is ? )
    104 - sea water temp

My other question has to do with my operating temperature. After reading some of the FAQs and talking with a few people here about cold water operation I’ve been paying very close attention to my running temps while breaking in my motor. At idle my motor has no problem getting to 125-130 but when I’m running it’s very hard for me to get anything above 110. I have been really scared to push the motor at all because of this. If I am running at anything over 3800 RPM my temp drops to below 100. I live in Upstate NY and surface water temps at the moment are in the 50s. Could I have a thermostat problem ? Or is this normal ?

Ive read a lot of stuff about cold seize and I’m scared to death. Admittedly, I don’t feel like I got that great of a break in because before I pushed it over 3800 RPM I had to run at 3500 to let the temp jump back up and I couldn’t run above 4500 very long at all.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the long post. I’m a worrier by nature so.. I just thought I’d ask to see what you guys think. First big time bass boat.

Also just a side note.. all temperature information came from my Vessel View.
    2002 Skeeter ZX225 w/ 2004 Mercury Optimax 225

2. Member
    as long as the motor comes up to 125-130 degrees at IDLE you are fine. The on plane temperatures don't matter, unless the motor is OVERHEATING.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    as long as the motor comes up to 125-130 degrees at IDLE you are fine. The on plane temperatures don't matter, unless the motor is OVERHEATING.
    Thanks for the quick reply Savage! That makes me feel a lot better! Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to actually put the hammer down and she what this ole girl can do (given that might fault codes aren’t anything super crazy :P)

4. Member
    i just installed vessel view this monday and 5 codes poped up same ones as yours plus a trim code i was scared to death i called merc and they said there false codes if you dont have a oil sensor in your romote tank and the sea temp is surface water temp so you shoud be good to go.

There are no lower limits for on-plane speeds. If it comes up to temp at idle, before and after a run, you are good. I personally have seen lower 80s during runs on really cold water temps.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-21-2019 at 04:06 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    There are no lower limits for on-plane speeds. If it comes up to temp at idle, before and after a run, you are good. Impersonally have seen lower 80s during runs on really cold water temps.
    I've seen on plane temps in the high 60s.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I've seen on plane temps in the high 60s.
    just out of curiosity, if we are all running temps that low (in cold water) how do the tolerances in the cylinder remain adequate enough to prevent cold seize ? I’ve always understood that as motor temps go up, the cylinder is walls expand to accommodate the expanding piston, but if the block gets that cold and the piston (I’m assuming) is running hotter than at idle how would that not cause a cold seize ?

This may be a dumb question, and I do trust all the previous answers... I’m just sort of wondering from a mechanical perspective how it all works !

8. Member
    Because the cylinder wall still remains at a larger diameter.

Click on this >>>>Cold running an Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Because the cylinder wall still remains at a larger diameter.

Click on this >>>>Cold running an Optimax
    Savage is always dropping knowledge bombs lol, thanks for the info again ! I had already read that but, I misunderstood that once the block is at operating temp it remains at a larger diameter. Thanks for always having the info Mr. Savage.

10. Member

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deevooo View Post
    Savage is always dropping knowledge bombs lol, thanks for the info again ! I had already read that but, I misunderstood that once the block is at operating temp it remains at a larger diameter. Thanks for always having the info Mr. Savage.
    Yup, once it's hot with a hot piston inside, you can't dump enough water in it to get the cylinder to contract.