Thread: Thoughts please

Thoughts please

So I have watched some FB threads and threads here on the BBC about putting gatorbak's on the bunks and how Basscat used to do it, all in the name of preventing gelcoat blisters where the boat sits on the wet bunks. So, I had this idea that what if the keelshield folks had a product that you put on your hull where the bunks meet? How much and would they last a long time without peeling etc.

So I contact Keelshield on a lark and not so much a surprise, but they said they had thought about it, but they didn't feel like they could
    put something out there in the market due to the cost of their materials. Hmmmm...ok, but on a second lark I said, well if you want to test
    this out on a live customer, I'd be game. So, now they are asking me how much do I want for my size boat :)

Now the question: What would you think the spec's should be? How much wider should the strips be than the bunks for example?

Random thoughts allowed or opinions....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

2. Member
    Interesting concept. I would think that you would want 1/2 inch extra at most. I feel that most boats sit almost the same each time they are loaded and I think a half in would cover any slight difference. The key would be measuring precise enough where your boat and bunks meet. The big question I have is how will the added material affect loading, as in will it allow your boat to slide easily on the bunks or will it require you to back in deeper in order to load? Just a few thoughts that ran through my head while thinking about this, I do like the idea though and hope that you and Keelshield can figure something out!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

3. Member
    What would it do to the boat handling and would they peel back?

4. Member
    well, lots of discussions with the Keelshield guys (Nick) and let me tell you they are great. That said, it is felt that the glue will not hold up to the weight of the hull on the strips, especially when trailering in heat. I broached the idea to basically cover the bottom of the boat, but that is about 4k worth of product :) I still think that is ok, given that people often run their boats in stump filled waters (Red River anyone?) where basically a urethane covered bottom would be a potential solution, but I am not sure this idea is worth my life savings to launch a company around.....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

5. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Why not just go with gator bunks? Seems a lot easier to me

6. Member
    I would not want anything that attaches to the hull in the pad/stern area.