Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bustasack View Post
    But peace of mind is always nice with a new motor.
    not to mention a warranty

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    If I new exactly what caused the old motor to fail I might consider a rebuild. Not very many hours on it. What is new carbons? Reeds?
    Man we just put new carbon fiber reeds In ours.. Dealership wanted 6 grand to rebuild it. Talked to the mechanic personally and he said it broke a reed. He said the cylinder had only very minor scratches. He said if it was him, he would just put a set of carbon fiber reeds in it and let it eat. Cost us $500 and a weekend doing, but it runs as good as day one now. Might be something worth looking into if all you did was break a reed.

3. Member
    no, NOT REEDS, I have 2 new lowrance 12"carbon units

4. Member
    Welcome to the club... I blew my Evinrude 225 to the point that a rod came through the block and I weighed the options and decided to get a reman powerhead and roll the dice. I know what happened to the old motor but it only had 289 hours on it because I don't go riding I go fishing. I just could not see 20k for a new motor but I wanted it bad and decided to go the reman route and pay for it with no financing or payments. I did the work myself with some awesome Evinrude mods on this page giving me great advise. I say to save the extra money and rebuild. Reman powerhead, new water pump, lower unit seal kit, and a new hydraulic jackplate and only spent $5300.00

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
    Motor is 12 years old.. it has a good life and a rebuild it will probably last another 12 years.

Spend 5K on a quality/professional rebuild and the money you save from being not spending the 20K can be used to fix whatever other things come up. Not sure I understand the logic many people use thinking that spending 20K to just have a warranty makes good financial sense.
    This is what I did, however I rebuilt the motor myself. I also don't think it is logical to spend an extra $15K to have a new motor with warranty, but I realize some do it because they can make a monthly payment, but don't have the cash for a major repair, hence the need for a warranty. If my Merc Pro XS takes a dump, I'll have it rebuilt. Too old to do it myself anymore.

6. Member
    My 07 went boom last year. Was going to repower but sold the whole works to Duck River and bought a newer boat

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    if it were me, I'd be sending it to hydrotec.
    This is what I did on my 2005 skeeter glad I didn't put a new motor on because I sold it about a year later I would have never recouped that much $
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    the shop says a new 4stroke SHO250, prop, Atlas j/p, rigged with a 5yr warranty is $23000
    can be done in 3-4 weeks

I blew a hole in a cylinder and spliit another piston

9. Member
    I like the tohatsu idea.

Quote Originally Posted by W.O.T View Post
    the shop says a new 4stroke SHO250, prop, Atlas j/p, rigged with a 5yr warranty is $23000
    can be done in 3-4 weeks

I blew a hole in a cylinder and spliit another piston
    Wow, that's a lot of cash. I'd drop a powerhead on it or send it to hydrotech before I spent that much. And yes, been there, done that.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Crowley marine has long blocks for $3,600-$3,800 with exchange for your HPDI.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    If I new exactly what caused the old motor to fail I might consider a rebuild. Not very many hours on it. What is new carbons? Reeds?
    Carbon is a series of Lowrance HDS units.

13. Member
    Blew my 250 HPDI, made a poor decision and had the engine fixed. Then, two years later corrected that decision and put the Yamaha SHO on it. Glad I did. No regrets. The cost seems high, but in my case, the motor will pay for itself in 7 to 8 years with all the fuel and oil savings per my calculation. Plus, during that period I get to enjoy all the other benefits of the new motor: cleaner burning, quieter, faster top end, better hole shot, shiny and new, etc. if you fish a lot, plan to keep the boat, and can afford it, go with the SHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Carbon is a series of Lowrance HDS units.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

15. Member
    I just went through the same thing and got a remanufactured powerhead. I also thought about a SHO, but couldn’t justify 20k. Call hydrotech or another reputable builder and you’ll be back in business for a lot less than a new outboard.

16. Member
    Oh, and 200 hours on a properly maintained lower unit is not high hours. If it was maintained you’ll get a lot more life out of it.

17. Member
    Just went through this exact situation with my 08 HPDI.....I really like my hull and all the work i have into rigging it. I went with a new Motor...wanted a SHO but your gonna wait to get one...I went to a Evinrude G2 250 HO I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOTOR. I couldnt justify 50-60k for a new boat I would have to rig again the way I wanted it Also....I have heard enough horror Stories of guys who rebuild and in 2yrs have another major issue. Piece of mind for me at least. The guys at Jet-A Marine treated me excellent on the whole repower!!!

18. Member
    anyone know much about the Suzuki 4 stroke?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12