Thread: Boggs 4/16

Boggs 4/16

I hadn't been to Boggs since probably 2009 or 2010, but had the day off of work and thought I'd give it a go. Got there early and the parking lot was almost empty.....by noon, when the winds kicked up and we decided to pull out, there were 35+ trucks and trailers in the lot. Couldn't fish a lot of my old spots because there was a boat around every corner and several in every cove. Scratched out 9 13-inch bass and my buddy had a couple more on that came unbuttoned at the boat. Didn't even bust out the crappie gear. Not sure I'll make the trip there again soon if that's the kind of pressure it's getting.

2. Member
    There were tournaments there Saturday and Sunday as well. They should have banned fishing for several after restocking it. People are just educating those fish and tearing their mouths up.
    By the time they are big enough to be fun to catch, they'll all be dead or so smart you won't be able to catch them

3. Member
    You may have hit it on an off day. The place gets a ton of pressure but still puts out pretty good numbers most days. We were there Saturday and had a little over 14lbs but were lucky enough to get 2 good bites to go with the squeakers. 2 weekends before I had almost 9lbs but it took 17+ to win..maybe the highest since the restock?

Don't give up on it yet.

4. Member
    Pressure is changing the lake big time. IMO if Boggs doesn't take forward action on actively stocking the lake, it will go right back to the way it was before the drain.

Those poor, dumb fish. I went Friday in the cold rain and caught at least 50 bass. They were hitting a spinnerbait like they had never seen one before. I don't know what those fish have to eat, but they look skinnier than they did last year.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbharkness;[URL="tel:10221541"
    10221541[/URL]]Pressure is changing the lake big time. IMO if Boggs doesn't take forward action on actively stocking the lake, it will go right back to the way it was before the drain.
    why ya think this is the third time drained and restocked. They just don’t take care of it. DNR did a shocking survey of the lake 3-4 weeks ago. Said it was the most fertile lake they ever saw. Take the first county road north of the lake and more than 24 huge turkey barns Amish owned,,,every time it rains,,all that piled crap washes into the lake. Don’t let your kids swim in it in the summer when the algae blooms are going on, or it will put them in the hospital. City of Logoottee owns the lake and they gross about a million bucks a year off the lake and the park. They also do not take water samples either.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbharkness View Post
    Pressure is changing the lake big time. IMO if Boggs doesn't take forward action on actively stocking the lake, it will go right back to the way it was before the drain.
    Wasn’t the lake phenomenal prior to draining it??? Hell I looked at the weights and if you didn’t have 20lbs quit holding up the weigh in line. Lol

8. Member
    It got to where there was WAY to much baitfish....only big bass....and not many bass or panfish. A huge imbalance of numbers and it was unhealthy. There were some monster sacks caught there....I had a few myself. It was hero or zero though.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    It got to where there was WAY to much baitfish....only big bass....and not many bass or panfish. A huge imbalance of numbers and it was unhealthy. There were some monster sacks caught there....I had a few myself. It was hero or zero though.
    This goes right back to them not actively stocking it. If you don't have the bass, crappie, and even bluegill to keep the baitfish population at bay, you will have an imbalance. Shad are already back in the lake. It's a watershed and it's nearly impossible to control what washes or gets carried into the lake. Hence why the pockets smell like raw sewage in the summer time. Bogg's is literally the only lake I have ever heard of where people tried to blame the tough/terrible bass and crappie fishing on too much shad. Keep your population in check and you won't have that problem imo.

10. Member
    They didn’t kill the shad out the way they poisoned the lake. The poison didn’t work to the bottom of the deep pools. It’s the reason from the day Lake was filled back up we were catching 11 and 12 inch crappie before they even had stocked the crappie. We local fishermen been seeing schools of shad from the day it re filled. Just shows how effective our DNR biologists really are.

Two years in a row, Davis Co. and West Boggs Park have had an exhibit booth at the Indy Sports Show, this year, 20’ booth, advertising the park and lake. Think of how many brochures were passed out. This year/summer will be a absolute zoo as it already is. It’s big money maker for the city of Logoottee.
    Last edited by cevans; 04-24-2019 at 06:50 AM.

11. Member
    Isn't West Boggs the lake that has been drained and restocked, more than any other in the state?
    If not, it's got to be right up there. Just a guess.

12. Member
    It’s been drained 3 times now if you want to call it drained as they do not cut the dam to drain it. They drain it as much as possible using the drain at the dam and can only take it down so much to call it drained. Here lately, at least DNR has been doing some patrolling on and around the lake checking catch limits and fishing licenses, etc.

13. Member
    They've also been issuing several tickets for people keeping undersized fish, over their limit, etc. Definately not trying to be a negative Nancy, I just hate to see public money wasted and a lake that has so much potential turn into a manure pit. It's sickining to see 20+ boats parked in the grass/mud while they build a brand new golf cart parking lot at the beach. No one wants to swim in that lake anyways. All the fishermans money goes right back to trying and keep the "campers" happy.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dbharkness View Post
    They've also been issuing several tickets for people keeping undersized fish, over their limit, etc. Definately not trying to be a negative Nancy, I just hate to see public money wasted and a lake that has so much potential turn into a manure pit. It's sickining to see 20+ boats parked in the grass/mud while they build a brand new golf cart parking lot at the beach. No one wants to swim in that lake anyways. All the fishermans money goes right back to trying and keep the "campers" happy.
    Would you expect any less from this state??? Lol