NORTHERN PIKE fishing in Indiana?

Are there any lakes in Indiana with good Northern Pike fishing?

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I know Lake Wawasee and Tippecanoe have Northern Pike, probably in the Barbee chain and other lakes up north too. Not sure I'd call the fishery "good" for them. I've never actually fished specifically for Northern Pike though. Lake Webster is known to be a decent Muskie fishing lake, believe they are in the Barbee chain and in Loon Lake. Patoka was stocked with Northern when it was first flooded. When they first opened the lake you couldn't keep the Northern off of your bait. They were all "hammer handles" though. In time the pike seemed to die out. Used to be, every once in a while you'd hear of someone catching a really big pike out of Patoka. Not sure that's happening any more. Not much of anything being caught there now.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Quite a few lakes have them. Winona in warsaw has a decent population, as does the James Lake chain in angola. Dewart would be another choice, as is syracuse/wawasee.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I know Lake Wawasee and Tippecanoe have Northern Pike, probably in the Barbee chain and other lakes up north too. Not sure I'd call the fishery "good" for them. I've never actually fished specifically for Northern Pike though. Lake Webster is known to be a decent Muskie fishing lake, believe they are in the Barbee chain and in Loon Lake. Patoka was stocked with Northern when it was first flooded. When they first opened the lake you couldn't keep the Northern off of your bait. They were all "hammer handles" though. In time the pike seemed to die out. Used to be, every once in a while you'd hear of someone catching a really big pike out of Patoka. Not sure that's happening any more. Not much of anything being caught there now.
    It’s been years since I’ve heard of one bring caught. At least 10 years ago and probably more than that. Last one I caught was a nice one. Probably 15lbs.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I have fished Wawasee several times and never saw one. I usually fish for bass, my son wants to catch a Northern. Looks like I may have to go farther north!

There are Pike in Clear Lake, Hudson Lake, and Wolf Lake in Northwest Indiana. Caught one that was probably 20 inches Wednesday night on Clear.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

Quote Originally Posted by JDBasser1984 View Post
    Thanks guys, I have fished Wawasee several times and never saw one. I usually fish for bass, my son wants to catch a Northern. Looks like I may have to go farther north!
    throw a crank bait in deeper water and you'll catch plenty of pike.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBasser1984 View Post
    Throw a rattle trap this time of the year, they tend to hit them pretty consistently. Catch them while bass fishing pretty often.

Winona and Dewart would be my two choices for catching them if I was going out to target them specifically.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

9. Member
    Thanks everyone.

10. idbefishing
    On Wawasee anything bright like a chrome rattle trap or chrome blades spinnerbait will get their attention. They hang out in the same places that bass do. St. Joe river pool at Mishawaka has lot of them too