Thread: Hook cutter

Hook cutter

What is the name of the tool that cuts the end of the hook off. I have a long handled pair of side cutters but saw a tool in another post that looks like it just goes over the point and barb of the hook to snip them off. Sorry couldn't find the post.

It's called a De Barb tool. I don't think they make them anymore. I just did a Google search and the only thing that came up was different types of pliers and hemostats.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    It's called a De Barb tool. I don't think they make them anymore. I just did a Google search and the only thing that came up was different types of pliers and hemostats.
    I just Googled "D-Barb tool" and saw them available at Amazon and Jann's Netcraft.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

5. U.S. Navy, Retired
    Found this review video on YouTube for the D-Barb Tool:

6. Member
    Thanks for the information, I have one on the way. I take kids fishing often and they love to use senkos but often set the hook way to late which results in gut hooked fish, hopefully this will help to save a few.

Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    I just Googled "D-Barb tool" and saw them available at Amazon and Jann's Netcraft.

I Googled it and got bupkis...I think I searched "De-Barb tool" and missed it. Glad to see they're still making them. It's a great tool. I've never used mine...never fish Senkos .

The only time I attempted to use it was at a dock, where a guy had a #2 treble in the meaty part of his thumb. His buddy was trying to cut the exposed hooks off with an old crusty pair of dykes but wasn't doing anything but torturing the poor guy. I got out the D-Barb, but neither the vic or 2 or 3 grown men had the grit to push the hook on through the other side. He did cut the barbs off with the D-Barb, after that I think he ended up wrapping it up and going to the ER.

A day or two later I went to Lowe's and got me a nice $30 pair of Klein Tool dykes...that never leave the boat. They will cut through a 3X like a matchstick.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.