Humminbird interference

Humminbird helix 10 chirp sonar and Di mounted on bow of boat on a Terrova trolling motor. Everytime I use the trolling motor I get slight interference and depth goes to max. Iv tried grounding trolling motor batteries to starting battery, iv tried grounding the trolling motor skeg to the power ground for the trolling motor, disconnected everything from battery except unit, put rubber between transducer and trolling motor, and changed fuse inside of Terrova head and still nothing worked, still get some interference and crazy depth readings. I’m past my witts end I got nothin left hoping someone’s got the magic trick. Also I get the crazy depth reading even when my transducer isn’t plugged in if that means anything to someone. Help.....

2. Member
    I bought a new zx225 and yes had interference at the bow with my bird helix gen 3 , so I got a pc 11 power wire , still had some no as much , so back to the drawing board , so you do have a battery charger if so you need a filter on your battery charger it gets connected to the wires that go to the starting battery . and now I have a clear screen when I step on the trolling motor

3. Member
    I had that trouble with MG and had to have a ferrite choke installed in the trolling motor power cord. I am on my 3rd trolling motor since I had it put in. Every new one is hooked to it. I have an Ulterra with a Solix now and have not had any interference issues. It is not like the ones that go on the fish finder wires. It goes on the trolling motor power cord.

4. Member
    I just bought a new boat it has a 112 ultrex helix 12 di. When I hit trolling motor on it goes to max depth. Is ther a transducer that helps with this

Quote Originally Posted by cp3434 View Post
    I just bought a new boat it has a 112 ultrex helix 12 di. When I hit trolling motor on it goes to max depth. Is ther a transducer that helps with this
    Exactly which Ultrex and exactly which Helix 12 DI?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I am suddenly having similar issues . The us2 power cord on my ultrex got pinched in the mount. I had a spare external transducer that I put on after that. Now every time I touch the tm the screen goes crazy and I lose depth . It takes a couple seconds after letting off the tm before things return to mormal.

7. Member
    I know this is almost a year later, but I'm having the same issue with interference. What does this filter look like and where can I get one???
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    I bought a new zx225 and yes had interference at the bow with my bird helix gen 3 , so I got a pc 11 power wire , still had some no as much , so back to the drawing board , so you do have a battery charger if so you need a filter on your battery charger it gets connected to the wires that go to the starting battery . and now I have a clear screen when I step on the trolling motor

8. Member
    I just started having this issue too since I added a Helix 9 DI g3n and 360. Every time I step on my Ultrex the 360 blows out. The DI and 2D have some but not like the 360. It’s unusable. I also run a garmin up front and it doesn’t have the interference. I will check the fuse today.
    2013 BassCat Eyra
    Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    My fuse was shot.
    2013 BassCat Eyra
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by blue perch View Post
    My fuse was shot.
    Do you unplug the trolling motor or turn the breaker/disconnect switch off when charging the batteries? If not do so.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    I now do unplug it after getting off the water. I’ve burned through two on/off switches on the Ultrex.
    2013 BassCat Eyra
    Mercury Pro XS 250

12. Member
    Do you mean turn your Perko switch to OFF???
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Do you unplug the trolling motor or turn the breaker/disconnect switch off when charging the batteries? If not do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Txbassfan1 View Post
    Do you mean turn your Perko switch to OFF???
    Whatever disconnect you have for the trolling motor wires: plug, circuit breaker, switch, etc.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by blue perch View Post
    I just started having this issue too since I added a Helix 9 DI g3n and 360. Every time I step on my Ultrex the 360 blows out. The DI and 2D have some but not like the 360. It’s unusable. I also run a garmin up front and it doesn’t have the interference. I will check the fuse today.
    Chasing interference is a pain. I’ve been wrestling with this for 2 years on my solix. The only solution I’ve yet to try is running a ground wire from the Tm skeg to the electronics battery.

Solix gen 1 SI. Ultrex 36V. Transducer mounted on the TM.

Here are things to try. Some have reduced the interference, but nothing has totally eliminated it:
    - ferrite rings on transducer and on Ethernet line
    - battery charger choke from HB
    - messing with configuration of extra cabling (figure 8’s in extra line)
    - ground from TM neg terminal to cranking neg terminal
    - rerouting my transducer wires to distance them from the TM cabling
    - had a service tech check the ultrex for loose brushes and water in the motor - replaced the brushes and that helped a bit

I’ve reached a point where I’m probably just going to live with it

Try to isolate the source of the interference before you start throwing shit at it to see what sticks.

- Get your transducer cable away from any power cables.

- Disconnect your charger from your electronics battery to see if you need the choke from HB.

- Adjust your noise filter

- Check the fuse in the head of the ultrex to make sure it’s not blown.

- Curl the excess transducer cable and then fold into a figure 8 and back on itself.

Do these one at time to see what impacts the interference

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

If disconnecting the charger from the TM batteries fixes the problem. What is the best solution for fixing it long term.
    I just got all lithium batteries and a lithium charger (Ionic). I now have interference when I didnt before with my old charger (DualPro PS4)

Suspect the charger might be the issue.

Thanks
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by einsteins View Post
    If disconnecting the charger from the TM batteries fixes the problem. What is the best solution for fixing it long term.
    I just got all lithium batteries and a lithium charger (Ionic). I now have interference when I didnt before with my old charger (DualPro PS4)

Suspect the charger might be the issue.

Thanks
    HB has a choke you can install between your electronics/cranking battery and the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryKerber View Post
    HB has a choke you can install between your electronics/cranking battery and the charger.
    Where can I find this choke? I couldnt find it on HB site
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

Quote Originally Posted by einsteins View Post
    Where can I find this choke? I couldnt find it on HB site
    It isn't. It is shown along with the MEGA SI and MEGA DI transducer trolling motor adapters and the XTM model MEGA SI and DI transducers.

Someone has posted what the choke cable part number is by itself. Contact Humminbird Customer Service.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL