Trailer tube construction rust; methods to fix

Managed to buy a trailer from the north... I paid so much attention to the the boat setting on the trailer, I didn't notice the rust. The frame bows are rusted out in the lowest bends. I thought I would make two sheet steel or maybe aluminum and sandwich the tube with Silicone and bolts to give strength. I decided it would be best to leave the rusted out portion open rather than closing it up and only promoting more rust.

The only other way would be to remove the the tubes and weld in new frame bows, which would mean extreme cost.

I'm planning to sell the boat. So my repairs will be pointed out. I'm just trying to make the boat trailer have added strength and only for the future possibility that a bump in the road would cause the rusted bows to fail were they not repaired.

Any suggestions?

Another reason I will never own another tube trailer.
    I took some 3/8 by 2" strap iron about 2' long and welded on the back side of each cross member.

The only suggestion that should even be considered is a different trailer. Non tube style. Dont pass that death trap onto anyone else.
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

4. Member
    Thanks, and my feelings we're much the same. I will make the sandwich of flat steel and point the trailer repairs out. I also will never have another tube trailer. I'd rather see the wires in a channel trailer than hidden wires in a tube trailer .