Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Bimini tops on a Bassboat

Looking to maybe do this,for the Hot Louisiana Sun.Would sure help keeping wife and dog happy,plus some relief cruising around and taking a lunch break.
    Anybody do this and likes and dislikes.

2. Member
    Not a bass boat but I have one in my Viper Coral and love it just as much as the wife and kids in the heat of the summer. Easy to stow and deploy. Doesn’t get in the way when I’m up front fishing.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I actually just recently put a Mantus shade on my boat , its not tase for using while going real fast but it nice to keep sun and rain off while taking a break and it folds up very nice .

There's a guy on YouTube that has one setup on a z118 that pretty much convinced me to put one on my next boat. Looks like it would be nice for the long days idling around scanning.

I installed one on my boat. In this hot Arizona sun on the lake with reflection off the water it is rough. I have a quick release pin on it in case I want to remove. With it up, you have to keep a lower speed, I believe it is 25-30 not sure. There is a tag on it that list this info.

20180916_133423_HDR.jpg 20180916_132413_HDR-1.jpg
    Last edited by Jerry W; 04-17-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    2019 tracker 195 Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150hp 4 Stroke
    4 blade Trophy plus 13 3/4 x 23 SS
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    Vesselview Mobile
    Minn Kota Ulterra I-pilot Link W/mega SI
    Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega Chirp G3
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI Mega Chirp G4

6. Banned
    Will it fold down to the front and rear? How tall did y'all get? can you stand up?

Mine will fold both ways. I store it to the rear. I can stand up around the console area but not under it at the front or rear without bending over. From the mount it is up 46 inches tall and 6 ft. long and the boat is approximately 2 feet deeper around the console than where it is mounted. Got the bimini from this web site. Made to order. https://www.carvercovers.com/bimini-tops/

20180916_134407_HDR-2.jpg20180916_132413_HDR-1.jpg
    Last edited by Jerry W; 04-23-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    2019 tracker 195 Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150hp 4 Stroke
    4 blade Trophy plus 13 3/4 x 23 SS
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    Vesselview Mobile
    Minn Kota Ulterra I-pilot Link W/mega SI
    Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega Chirp G3
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI Mega Chirp G4

An option would be a sun umbrella, like the ones used in yards. Have seen a few guys do this for some quick shade and easy up/down.

9. Member
    I had one made for my z520. It was a great investment for the Arizona/Nevada sun. It folds out of the way in the back. You can run about 35 with it up and adjusted right. Being able to get out of the direct sun makes a big difference.
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    Mercury 250 Proxs 4 stroke

OP, I feel your pain being from Lafayette, La and now living in Jawga. Summers are hot down there!!

My Skeeter SL210 Fish & Ski came with a bimini top. Without it, I wouldn’t stay on the lake from morning till night. It really is worth it and I won’t own another boat without one. From summer showers when all the fisherman are heading back in for cover, you just open up the top in seconds and stay dry for the most part unless it’s a big down pour! While my girlfriend wants to get a tan, or the kids are playing in the water, I can anchor down, turn on the radio, grab a bite to eat or a cold beverage and relax in shade because of the bimini top.

The sun was going down but from the pic you can see how it covers most of the driver and passenger areas and leaves the back deck clear for sunbathing. You can’t tell from the pic but the front deck is still free to fish even with the top open. It takes less than a minute to remove the top from the boat, two knobs hold the top in place. When folded, it goes behind the rear bench seat and you still have access to the live wells and plenty of room to walk around without it being in the way. I had a Skeeter SL190 that had a taller bimini top frame where you could stand underneath it which was nice as my SL210 I have to duck down a little bit to clear the top. If you decide to get a bimini, don’t get a black top, lol.

11. Member
    This one cost me $30.00. I just shortened the umbrella post a little and then slid it down a seat post. Wouldn't cruise with it but great shade for when the wife and I take a break. Umbrella fits in a rod locker.
    umbrellaNitro.jpg

12. Member
    Umbrella2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take a look at Taylor Made anchor shade. Cheap enough to try to see if you really want a bimini.

Mine is a Carver made with Sunbrella fabric. It has stainless hardware, aluminum 3 bow tubing, and nylon straps. It is sized and uses hardware to attach it to the inside edge of the gunnel and sits inside the perimeter of the gunnel and splash well allowing it to lay low on the back deck. That keeps it out of the way of the back angler. I think this is the best choice for a bass boat. Sitting on top of the gunnel or propped up with rear tube braces instead of laying flat on the deck would make fishing near impossible from the rear deck. Adjust the straps for a good tight fit and put a few twists in them to prevent vibration and you can run 30-35 mph with it up. I shortened my main poles 5 inches and reattached the hardware with stainless pop rivets to make it more compact. I have to stoop just a bit standing under it at 6'2". But I mostly plan to sit when under it. My only regret is not going with stainless tubing for rigidity. The aluminum tube is plenty strong when up or down, but care has to be made to raise and lower from the center of the bow or it will flex and rack a bit.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Mine is a Carver made with Sunbrella fabric. It has stainless hardware, aluminum 3 bow tubing, and nylon straps. It is sized and uses hardware to attach it to the inside edge of the gunnel and sits inside the perimeter of the gunnel and splash well allowing it to lay low on the back deck. That keeps it out of the way of the back angler. I think this is the best choice for a bass boat. Sitting on top of the gunnel or propped up with rear tube braces instead of laying flat on the deck would make fishing near impossible from the rear deck. Adjust the straps for a good tight fit and put a few twists in them to prevent vibration and you can run 30-35 mph with it up. I shortened my main poles 5 inches and reattached the hardware with stainless pop rivets to make it more compact. I have to stoop just a bit standing under it at 6'2". But I mostly plan to sit when under it. My only regret is not going with stainless tubing for rigidity. The aluminum tube is plenty strong when up or down, but care has to be made to raise and lower from the center of the bow or it will flex and rack a bit.

Thanks for the pictures,will be getting one for summer.Looks like it would work good on the Nitro.Wouldn't have to take it all the time,could leave it home if not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    Thanks for the pictures,will be getting one for summer.Looks like it would work good on the Nitro.Wouldn't have to take it all the time,could leave it home if not needed.
    You are correct, it only requires the detachment at two points to remove. Recommend a second set of hands though as it is very unwieldy for a single person. Mine came with a set of pivot bolts with wide smooth shoulders as well as a set of quick detach locking pins to make the removal and install tool-less if you wish.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    This one cost me $30.00. I just shortened the umbrella post a little and then slid it down a seat post. Wouldn't cruise with it but great shade for when the wife and I take a break. Umbrella fits in a rod locker.
    umbrellaNitro.jpg
    Where did you buy it/what's brand name of it?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post

I like that. Im sure my partner will love that lol.

Does it get in the way if youre doing side arm casts from the front?

Is that a 2-bow or 3-bow top? I'm not quite sure how they count the bows.
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 04-18-2019 at 02:44 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    OP, I feel your pain being from Lafayette, La and now living in Jawga. Summers are hot down there!!

My Skeeter SL210 Fish & Ski came with a bimini top. Without it, I wouldn’t stay on the lake from morning till night. It really is worth it and I won’t own another boat without one. From summer showers when all the fisherman are heading back in for cover, you just open up the top in seconds and stay dry for the most part unless it’s a big down pour! While my girlfriend wants to get a tan, or the kids are playing in the water, I can anchor down, turn on the radio, grab a bite to eat or a cold beverage and relax in shade because of the bimini top.

The sun was going down but from the pic you can see how it covers most of the driver and passenger areas and leaves the back deck clear for sunbathing. You can’t tell from the pic but the front deck is still free to fish even with the top open. It takes less than a minute to remove the top from the boat, two knobs hold the top in place. When folded, it goes behind the rear bench seat and you still have access to the live wells and plenty of room to walk around without it being in the way. I had a Skeeter SL190 that had a taller bimini top frame where you could stand underneath it which was nice as my SL210 I have to duck down a little bit to clear the top. If you decide to get a bimini, don’t get a black top, lol.

You need to post more of the bikini babe to see how the bimini works.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    You need to post more of the bikini babe to see how the bimini works.
    I agree I didn't notice he was showing off a picture of the boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast