My new used 2012 Pt190tx motor location

Just got a 2012 pt190tx with 90hp four stroke and was wondering if my motor mounting location is correct. It is mounted at the top hole. What doesn’t make sense to me is that the mount is showing signs that it was once bolted to the third hole. To make it more interesting, this motor only has 7 hours on it and the boat is in immaculate condition, it wasn’t used much(not getting into the whole backstory). Ran it a few times after figuring out a fuel issue, with a lot of trim adjusting i ran a Gps speed of 43mph. I did search this topic on here and I didn’t find much. Thoughts are appreciated. Also I’m open to prop recommendations, I’m coming from a smaller motor so this is fairly new to me

2. Member
    You’ll hear a lot of people on this forum say mounted to 3rd hole and get a Spitfire X7 prop. That is what I am going to in the near distant future.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

3. Member
    Ok thanks for the info. I saw that for the 115, wasn’t sure if it went the same for the 90. I’m not really looking to gain speed or anything, just want it to be right. Took it out tonight and hit 44mph with it but I’m still dealing with my fuel issue. It dies out within the first 30 seconds anything over 4000rpm, sputters, kinda clears up, then comes back intermittently. I thought I fixed it by tightening some fuel lines and changing out the fuel filters. Haven’t pulled the spark plugs yet. I’ve read about possibly being a float switch issue in the FSM; called 2 local Merc dealers about the float switch and they seemed to think the float switches aren’t an issue, internet searches say otherwise

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhauck View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. I saw that for the 115, wasn’t sure if it went the same for the 90. I’m not really looking to gain speed or anything, just want it to be right. Took it out tonight and hit 44mph with it but I’m still dealing with my fuel issue. It dies out within the first 30 seconds anything over 4000rpm, sputters, kinda clears up, then comes back intermittently. I thought I fixed it by tightening some fuel lines and changing out the fuel filters. Haven’t pulled the spark plugs yet. I’ve read about possibly being a float switch issue in the FSM; called 2 local Merc dealers about the float switch and they seemed to think the float switches aren’t an issue, internet searches say otherwise
    Could it be bad gas? You said engine only had 7 hours so gas was probably sitting for a long time.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Could it be bad gas? You said engine only had 7 hours so gas was probably sitting for a long time.
    Agreed, while it isn’t new by any means - it’s amazing that it only had 7 hours - basically an hour of run time a year. There has to be at least year old gas in the boat.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

6. Member
    So, I had an 06 with a 75 fourstroke and it was mounted in the third hole. I think you’ll be happy with the overall performance if you mount in the third hole.

I had an intermittent problem similar to what you describe and what it took for me to fix it was to have the injectors cleaned. Didn’t have a problem lol that after I had the injectors cleaned and my buddy who bought the boat off of me hasn’t seen the issue resurface.

7. Member
    When I changed my pt190 with 115 over to the X7 prop I had it moved up to the third hole. After raising the motor but before installing the new prop I took it out and ran the stock (21 pitch) in the third hole. It sucked on hole shot, handling and top end. Installed the X7 and it transformed the boat.

Your experience could be different but in my case the stock 3 blade with the motor in the third hole was not a good match. Maybe the second hole would have worked, I don't know.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    I appreciate the responses. I thought about the bad gas as well. I pulled a large sample of fuel this past weekend and it didn’t seem terrible. I ended up pulling the FSM off to investigate the inside of it and found some corrosion on the low pressure pump. Leads me to believe it sat with water in the fuel at one point, or it sat with untreated fuel in it. I sucked it up and dropped it off at the dealer to investigate furthermore issues. I also asked them to look into the mounting position of the motor. I’ll keep everyone updated

9. Member
    Also, we who are running the spitfire x7 with the engine raised to the third hole are running 115 pro xs engines. Not sure
    if that set up is the same for the 90hp. It may be not sure.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    115 MERCURY PRO XS 4 STROKE
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Vessel View mobile Installed
    2= Garmin ecomap 93sv plus
    Ram swing arm mount (console)
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force
    Supreme Ultimate Bunkboards
    3 Leaf 3000# leaf spring upgrade

10. Member
    Problem was fuel lift pump and float switch in case anyone encounters the same issue

One thing I would check would be your fuel line. The older fuel lines would break down if you used ethanol fuels. I would recommend possibly replacing those lines with lines that can be used with ethanol fuel even if you do use pure gas.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)