Thread: Stomach Cancer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Stomach Cancer

I have been diagnosed with cancer at the junction of the esophgus/stomach. Doctors don’t think it has spread.

After umpteen tests and seeing multiple doctors they have decided the best course of treatment to be 5 weeks of once per week chemo simultaneously with 5 weeks of 5 times per week radiation. This followed by a break in treatment of a few weeks, more tests, possible surgery, followed by more chemo/radiation.

Doctors won’t/can’t tell me the possible side effects. Could feel better than I do now while going thru the treatment (feel like death warmed over right now), could feel worse.

If all goes well should be back to “normal” by October/November.

I’m 68 years old, have had heart problems in the past but that all seems behind me.

Question for you good folks - anybody out there have any experience with something like this ? I know everybody reacts to these treatments differently, but I’m just trying to get an idea of what to expect, good or bad.

Not looking for pity or sympathy, I have lead a wonderful life, just trying to anticipate what’s going to happen.

I do have a positive outlook as someone has to keep those waters safe for women and children to safely swim so I gotta keep the bass and snook trained to leave them alone !

Thanks,

Dave

2. TJNYSNP
    Dave, i wish you all the best and i'm certain you will get thru this!!!! BBC has got your back ! :)

What symptoms did you have so we can all learn from this from you too ?

3. Banned
    ... Dan

4. Member

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    no experience or knowledge with the type you have but many for you as you take this journey sir...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

7. Member

8. Member
    Good Luck....Theyve made some outstanding advances in cancer treatments over the last decade....Stay positive..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

9. Member
    My wife has fought breast cancer for 15 months. She went through 26 straight weeks of chemo. Everyone is different so it is hard to say what you will expect. She was tired and lost a lot of weight. Food had a different taste more metallic when using silverware. Of course she lost her hair, came back fuller and curly. She developed neuropathy in her feet, thus was hard to walk. No energy.

I learned how to cook so she could eat. She drank a lot of energy high cal drinks. It was a little hard on her heart. Funny she never got nauseous, but felt sick like the flu.

She had to stay away from sick people because her immunity system was done.

I never missed a Friday in the 26 weeks. There are different types of chemo, the red stuff she took was the worse.

She was always cold.

Now for the good news, she had the surgery after the chemo. So far we are on the good side and no signs of return/spread.

She is far younger than you are and took the treatment with a positive outlook.

It wasn't fun but it also wasn't like all the bad stories you read about. I know easy for me to say that when she is the one that went through it

They attacked the cancer aggressively and I'm a lucky guy as have my wife.

Good luck and I really wish you the best. You will need emotional support for those bad days.

11. Member
    are they going to put a peck tube in

12. Member

13. Member

14. Member
    Best of luck!

15. Member
    God bless you and I hope your treatment goes well.

16. Member
    Dave, I have Barret's Syndrome at that point, and that condition is often a forerunner of esophageal cancer--or it can be. You are certainly in my prayers.

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

18. Member

19. Member

20. Member
    Be strong , eat right stay positive and listen to your Doctors. Take care!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast