Will a 4 blade chine walk worse than a 3 blade?

I have a 2016 919 proxp. Chine walks around 68 mph, sometimes a little sooner if I trim up to much.

I have searched all the posts on how to correct this, and I have had it out about 4 times since I got it, but still am not able to really get the performance I probably should out of it. I have tried to correct the walk by adjusting the steering wheel slightly left then right, but I can't seem to get it. That thing does turn like a sports car at high speed. My Skeeter TZX 190 with a 175 on the back felt like it skipped turning at high speeds.

I did hit 69.8 at one point, but I have never been above half on the trim gauge bec at that point the boys are practically in my stomach.

PTP height is at 3.5 and running a 25p 4 blade fury/ 225 ProXS / Manual Jackplate
    Thanks,
    Jesse

2016 Phoenix 919 ProXP

2. Member
    Well for what it's worth the 68 - 70 mph mark seems to be the average spot most birds will attempt to chine regardless of the outboard. On my 920 if I run my Atlas jack plate at mid setting and 1/2 way on the trim, my bird will chine at 68 - 70; however, if I blip my jack plate 3/4 the way up with the same trim setting, the chine goes away, and I begin to fly. At this point I can feel the stern lift, and the more I lift the jack plate and trim I start to check out like I'm on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Now I also run a 250 SHO, and they love to run very high, I don't know how high you would be able to run your Merc. Maybe your manual jackplate needs an adjustment? I would definitely try out a 3 blade 25p fury or 25 tempest plus. Maybe someone running a similar setup or more experience with a Merc can give you some help.
    Last edited by Hooked247; 04-16-2019 at 07:46 PM.

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    rather a 3 blade or 4 , a worked prop will be easier to drive but either way it just takes seat time, go easy on that trim. keep it down to about a 1/4 and get used to it wide open and use small bumps up on the trim but each time let it catch up , get the feel for it and bump it up again. soon it wont mater what prop, and you can take off the training wheels cause its just like that first time on a bike
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by deluxejunk View Post

I have searched all the posts on how to correct this, and I have had it out about 4 times since I got it, but still am not able to really get the performance I probably should out of it. I have tried to correct the walk by adjusting the steering wheel slightly left then right, but I can't seem to get it.

I would not even think about buying another prop until you have a lot of seat time in your current rig. If you have never drove a boat that is capable of chinewalk then it will take some time to get use to. No two boats are the same. You have to learn how to balance yours on the pad with steering corrections while running full throttle. I know I don't own a Phoenix but I have spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel on boats capable of chinewalk. How much I adjust my steering is a lot less than when drive my neighbors boat. You have to learn each individual boat and how it reacts to positive trim and steering adjustments.

As a tip make sure your weight distribution is even. If you're off a little then no big deal but if your listing to one side sitting still then you're too far out of balance. Also I have noticed "most" and I say the word most loosely but most boats will not chine as bad when loaded heavy. Start carrying a full load of fuel and livewells full. If you can run on pad with no issues then slowly start reducing the weight until it starts to walk and learn how to drive it at that weight. Once you learn it you can have empty livewells and 1/4 tank of fuel and drive it with no problem. Also some boats just don't require much positive trim. Seems like I have read more than once here in this forum that Phoenix boats require less trim than most other boats.

5. Member
    Everyone above is right about seat time. Watch some YouTube videos on chine walk to get the general idea then hit the water and start getting a feel for it. Make sure you're boat is balanced as well.

I will say though on most boats a 4 blade will walk less than a 3. I've got a bravo on my 721 right now and it barely walks all the way up to 77-78 mph.
    The t-2 walks a fair bit right around 70 but once past about 72-73 a bump here and there is all it needs

6. Member
    Appreciate the input.
    Thanks,
    Jesse

2016 Phoenix 919 ProXP

7. Member
    Agree with others, Fury prop not the issue. Seat time and learning to drive it is best. On another note, most 819/919 are factory setup around 3.0" PTP with a 2 stroke Merc motor. You may raise the motor 1/2" and see if it settles down at all. That hull doesn't seem to require much trim either in my experience.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    rather a 3 blade or 4 , a worked prop will be easier to drive but either way it just takes seat time, go easy on that trim. keep it down to about a 1/4 and get used to it wide open and use small bumps up on the trim but each time let it catch up , get the feel for it and bump it up again. soon it wont mater what prop, and you can take off the training wheels cause its just like that first time on a bike
    Dam impressive. Mine chines like m'f'r. I have 53 hours on 'er so.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    TrackerUser

10. Member
    I’ve been raising engine heights. I have a manual jp. I’m at 3 1/2” ptp. 4 stroke. Will I know when I get to high, ptp? I know to watch water pressure. My chine walking starts at 66 - 68 mph. I’m still learning this boat. Thanks
    Charley
    2019 Phoenix 919 PRO XP
    225 pro XS 4 stroke mercury 24p fury
    model # 12250033A
    motor serial # 2B599078

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasman View Post
    I’ve been raising engine heights. I have a manual jp. I’m at 3 1/2” ptp. 4 stroke. Will I know when I get to high, ptp? I know to watch water pressure. My chine walking starts at 66 - 68 mph. I’m still learning this boat. Thanks
    I’m running 2 3/4” ptp with that set up and get my best speed with plenty of water pressure. Definitely easier to drive than 3 1/2” (and faster) but may be a hair high for rough water. So far it’s been good for me. Mine was at 3 1/2” when I got it and had a 24 Fury.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

As said above. Seat time and don't trim it much. My 921 likes very very little trim. Likes to run rather flat compared to other boats that I been in. I do more adjustment with my hydraulic jackplate than trim. Lift the motor a little and see how it handles.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS