Trolling motor question

Instead of replacing the 12 volt trolling motor with a 24 why wouldn’t you just add another battery and have a switch between the two batteries? This would allow you to double the run time of the 12 volt. Has anyone tried this?

2. Member
    Why not hook them in parrallel and then you dont have to swith them.
    ~~~~GROUND MEAT PRODUCTIONS~~~~
    OUTDOOR VIDEOS
    2016 XPRESS X21 ~ Yamaha F200LB ~ LOWRANCE ~ DAIWA ~

3. Member
    b/c double the run time on a 12v 45lb thrust isn't the same as a 24v 80lb thrust and they don't make the Ultrex in a 12v anyway.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Itismemc View Post
    Why not hook them in parrallel and then you dont have to swith them.
    This ^^^^^^^^
    If you wire them in parallel You don’t need a switch and it will double your run time. Two 12 volt batteries in series will give you 24 volts but the run time is the same as one battery. Most people switch to 24 volts to get more torque.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    I guess it would depend on what boat you’re talking about. I had a PT190 with a 45lb Motorguide on it and it just wasn’t strong enough to even move the boat forward in rough water conditions. Switched to an 80lb terrova and never had an issue with moving the boat around nor running out of power on a long day on the water.

6. Member
    Tried it. Batteries didn't last as long. Spend the money. It is a night and day difference. New fortrex allowed me to fish and not worry about grass, wind, or tide.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

double batteries in parallel will double your hours of use with the same tm, but as said above its not the same as a 80 pound, the 80 will draw fewer amps to move the same speeds making the same batteries last longer. magic of 12vs24 volts
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089