Golf & Fishing Balance

After being a golf nut when I was young, played HS golf, worked at a golf course, played all the time. I got burnt out and only played probably 10-15 times in 15 years between the ages of 21-35. In that time my life revolved around fishing and could not wait for spring to be on the water and fished any time I had but now I am back on the golf kick in a bad way. Replaced my lunch hour pond trip with a trip to the driving range and I have not even rigged any rods or got my boat out. I almost feel like I need to go fishing just to see if I get the itch back, watching golf tournaments has replaced watching bassmaster tourneys. Any one else go through these drastic hobby swings?

2. Member
    Yep. Gave up golf when two girls arrived and got busy coaching and working on career. Fishing took a back seat too with an occasional camping trip with kids. Then girls got into golf when golf coach saw them playing softball and put them on the golf team. Then wife who is a good athlete picked up the game.
    fast forward 25 years and now have three grandsons and one daughter. Got them all fishing since they were 5. One Dylan, is total dedicated loves to fish all day. I always played golf through the early spring weather when the Bermuda was brown and woke up in June saying where did the good fishing days go? Another spring fishing season gone.
    So now we have bought a skeeter Zx250. Dylan and I have taken his spring break in it and several other days. Planning more trips. Not playing golf till June when the grass has filled in and lush.
    Dylan now likes fishing the ponds only with someone else and has a weekly Wednesday evening trip planned with another dedicated fishing boy to the neighborhood ponds. They post their pics on an Instagram account shared with their other fishing buddies.
    wife and I are taking a fishing/golfing trip this Easter weekend to Shangri la on Grand. Really looking forward to it.
    have gone from a 5 handicap to a 10, for several reasons. But still love to play. But new quest is a new PB bucketmouth.

So all I can say is I am a half ass golfer and fisherman because I can’t go exclusive, but I enjoy both. Family enjoys both. Squeeze in hunts and fishing trips when I can do it. Retirement will hopefully give me the time to do more of all. My family enjoys the fishing.

it is more about family and friends than competition. And all of it occurs in the Great Outdoors which I love.

3. Member
    Yup, same thing has happened to me. I started playing again after 12-15 years off, last August. I've only been fishing 3 times this year, didn't catch my first fish of the year until the end of March. Normally, I'd have gotten that out of the way New Years day, lol. The thing I feel bad about is my boat sitting in the driveway, not being used. Here we are April 17th, I haven't been fishing once this month, last weekend I went on a bachelor trip, played 36. Weekend before I chose to play golf instead of fishing when the weather was nice. Going to New Orleans this weekend, probably going to play golf instead of hiring a guide to redfish. I will make it a point to go fishing next weekend, though.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I think it happens to a lot of us. I gave up playing for 10 years, even though I was still teaching golf, and fishing was my main hobby. I started back to playing in 2010 and now I play golf a lot more than I fish.

5. Fishing is a Passion
    I love both and try to split my time. I am a much better golfer. However I know where the golf ball is when I swing. I also know that the fish is right under my boat and I need to catch it. That excitement is what keeps me fishing. I am too competitive. Golf during the week, fishing on the weekend.

I now have two grandsons, Time will again determine my direction.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

6. Member
    It's a constant battle for me to balance both. I used to golf weekly before I bought my boat 2 years ago. Now that I have the boat I find myself fishing 2-3 times a week and golfing 1-2 a month.

7. Member
    Bad golf is not the golf balls fault. Bad fishing is definitely the fishes fault.

8. Member
    Every week I have to make that difficult decision. Go fishing or play golf. When the fish aren't biting I'm wondering how my golf game would have been. When I'm playing lousy I'm wondering if the fish are biting. A tough decision for sure.

9. Member
    Love them both....try to split it up. Do a Friday night couples best ball and small fishing tourneys on Saturday. Pushing 70 and haven't gotten tired of either....hope I don't.

10. Member
    Last year I only fished a handful of times and played golf also a hand full of times. Mostly wasted my time hunting though. I love doing it all but have became slightly disabled in my wrist due to a wreck which caused a few broken bones in the wrist and there are only a few days it feels good enough to even swing the club. Not to mention the day after I can’t even move my wrist. So I have pretty much quite golf and tried to fish more but with a 2 year old and another on the way that has been a whole number of 15 minutes of fishing this year. I am itching like crazy to do something out doors but so far work and the family takes up all the time. Heck my vacation or off days have been nothing but work. If I don’t get a break to do something I want for a change the boat or clubs and phone may “disappear” for a day

11. Fishing is a Passion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Bad golf is not the golf balls fault. Bad fishing is definitely the fishes fault.
    \\

Well said

It's my weekend. Decisions decisions. Well... winds blowing so that rules out fishing. Im playing golf today and tomorrow. My wife is off tomorrow and she said..you can go fishing tomorrow if you want. I choose to play golf with her tomorrow. I love spending time with her. She took up golf last year because I would go by myself. She loves it!! And usually we play match play and I lose more than I win. But we have lots of fun.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

13. Member
    After 8 straight days of fishing the weeks before, I will return to 2 day golf tournament tomorrow. Wife and I played 9 holes Wednesday evening. Beauty day, course to ourselves, great quality time with her.
    if I can putt, I will be dangerous.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    Every week I have to make that difficult decision. Go fishing or play golf. When the fish aren't biting I'm wondering how my golf game would have been. When I'm playing lousy I'm wondering if the fish are biting. A tough decision for sure.
    This is me every time.

Finally going to take the boat out tomorrow. Have not fished in a while. Really don't remember the last time I went. Probably could check a pic to see when. Its been a month or more. Probaby 2 at least. Just want to get the boat wet and catch 1 fish. That's my goal when I go and if I exceed that... then that's just a bonus. Its HOT. I always wear swim trunks and take a swim break during the day to cool off. Its a must for me in the summer. Gonna tie on a topwater and throw the jig and dropshot and probably do some cranking... my favorite. Enjoy your weekend in whatever you choose to do.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

16. Fishing is a Passion
    My club monthly tournament. Easy Day/ Hard Day. It is a lot of fun, No fishing this weekend

17. Member
    2 day fourball tourney starting tomorrow. New grip on old putter that gave me two birdies last time out.
    I am counting on many more the next 2 days.
    summer got to Oklahoma-hot and humid.

18. Member
    Picking up a Vexus next week (Good Lord willing) and my golf game will be slowing down.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Always want to be Fishing View Post
    Picking up a Vexus next week (Good Lord willing) and my golf game will be slowing down.
    That is the only good reason to have wrecked your golf game. Good luck on both

20. Member
    :)
    Thanks...