Minn Kota Maxxum 74 No Power

Was out fishing this afternoon and the trolling motor just stopped working all at once. No power in MOM or CON. Got 25.6V at the plug. Took the bottom plate off the foot pedal and tested voltage where the wires come in. I get around 1.3V with switch in CON and about 3V when in MOM with no button depressed, about 1.3V with button depressed and about 3V when switched off. I figured it may be either the button or the switch, but the voltage at rest and when it should be working all seem to match up. I am far from an expert on electrical matters though. I took the cover off the head and it all looks ok in there as far as I can tell. Looking for ideas on what my issue may be.
    Last edited by wpb79; 04-16-2019 at 04:03 PM.

2. Member
    You probably have a loose or corroded connector. Or a bad battery. A bad battery will drop voltage under load.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wpb79 View Post
    Was out fishing this afternoon and the trolling motor just stopped working all at once. No power in MOM or CON. Got 25.6V at the plug. Took the bottom plate off the foot pedal and tested voltage where the wires come in. I get around 1.3V with switch in CON and about 3V when in MOM with no button depressed, about 1.3V with button depressed and about 3V when switched off. I figured it may be either the button or the switch, but the voltage at rest and when it should be working all seem to match up. I am far from an expert on electrical matters though. I took the cover off the head and it all looks ok in there as far as I can tell. Looking for ideas on what my issue may be.
    I agree with Brad. When you put a load on the trolling motor, then the voltage drops indicates a bad/corroded connection or wiring. I don't think you have a trollingmotor issue.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Well since you have 24+ volts at the plug, but (i presume) when you get less than 5 when plugged in, a dirty connection, bad current limiter or loose internal plug jumper if you have a 4 wire system.
    Check all the screws inside the connector plug.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    bad current limiter.
    I would right that down when I drove miles to a customers to replace a fuse. I hated charging them mileage and hourly just to see FUSE or Breaker as the fix. I would even put down the "current limiters" part number.

Sorry to get off track, but brought back memories!!

6. Member
    Finally got around to looking into this and you guys were spot on. I bypassed the boat wiring and the trolling motor worked just fine. I was convinced it was the control board. Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks to those who replied!