Thread: Mercury 4s oil

Mercury 4s oil

I have a 225 pro xs 4stroke (2B596253) I no it’s not required but if I was to change the oil at 20hrs. Would you go ahead and go with synthetic oil now or wait til the 100 hr?

I'd use the Mercury branded oil they recommend.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Mercury Brand. Its a synthetic blend I think. Do it at 20-30 hours. Super easy to do.

4. Member
    Just wasn’t sure how early to start using synthetic oil. Haven’t made up my mind yet on the oil I’m gonna use. Thanks

5. Member
    I would recommend the merc oil , then do a oil analysis at the next service interval so you can get a baseline. If you want to vary from the merc spec oil you can at least have a baseline to compare whatever oil you try.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicsservice View Post
    I would recommend the merc oil , then do a oil analysis at the next service interval so you can get a baseline. If you want to vary from the merc spec oil you can at least have a baseline to compare whatever oil you try.
    Thanks

7. mikesxpress
    Just put in what the manual says to use. The internet "oil engineers" didn't design this V8, Mercury did, and they told you what to put in it and when to change it. It's that easy.....

8. Member
    Its so easy even a caveman can do it. Buy the Mercury oil change kit for your engine and it wil be fine.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Its so easy even a caveman can do it. Buy the Mercury oil change kit for your engine and it wil be fine.
    Not a cave man but,I have slept in a few holiday inns before.

10. Member
    Mercury has a synthetic blend but not full synthetic. Most I think including me prefer the SB to dino oil.

11. mikesxpress
    Yes they do have a full synthetic and have had for quite awhile. That's not what the engine decal or manual says to use.

12. Member
    According to Mercury's website the 25w - 40 and 10w - 30 4-stroke oils are both synthetic blends.

The 25w - 40 has it emblazoned on the label and in the 10w -30 description -
    Features premium-grade synthetic and mineral-based stocks with specially designed marine grade additives not required in automotive oils.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Yes they do have a full synthetic and have had for quite awhile. That's not what the engine decal or manual says to use.
    Can you give a link to full synthetic as I can't find on their web site. Thanks

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Can you give a link to full synthetic as I can't find on their web site. Thanks
    No... because there is no full synthetic 4 stroke
    engine oil that’s recommended for these 4-stroke models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I'm going to put a deposit down on a new pro xs 4 stroke Monday and when asking questions about servicing it the dealer told me that mercury recommends their synthetic blend 4 stroke oil. When I asked them about using a different brand I was told that I could if I wanted to but if something did happen to the engine while under warranty without using mercury oil they may not be as willing to warranty anything.

16. Member
    I contacted Mercury directly regarding my 150 4 Stroke and they recommended 25w-40 synthetic blend for my motor. Below is a link to there documentation and a snippet of what the recommend for each motor range they sell. I would think that if you want to change oil at 20 hrs I would just start putting in the 25w-40 synthetic blend don't look back. If you are really unsure then call or email Mercury. They will tell you for sure what you can and can't do if you ask them.

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...l.pdf?u=orhjei

2019-04-22 07_53_00-Mercury-Precision-Parts-FourStroke-Oil.pdf.png
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)

17. mikesxpress
    The oil your engine was designed to use is listed on the engine decal and in your manual. Pretty simple.