The active duty doc cuts are hitting the local base

I had a few docs in class recently that have told me anyone turning 65 after April 1st will be turned away from the base hospital and be told to use Tri-Care for Life on the local economy. Anyone 65 before that day will be able to continue healthcare on the installation for now.

If you turn 65 this year and use a local installation for your healthcare you may want to ask about this where you get care? The Army is projecting 7,000 healthcare provider cuts.

It's a mixed bag here at Bragg. I know there's a ton of retirees getting seen at the on post clinics and hospital...but I also know there's a ton that were sent off post as well. I think it just depends on provider availability at the time of your retirement.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    Retiree’s, including myself are getting seen. I couldn’t get seen for years on post after I moved here because I lived outside a certain mileage range. These days they will see me. It’s the guys aging into Tri-Care for Life (Medicare) that are getting cut front the roles right now around here.

I normally get sent off post for specialty appointments.

Yeah, how close you are to a MTF is a definite decision point for them too. I live all of about 7 miles from post; have for the past 16 years. I retired in 2013, and nothing changed for me other than my PCM.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    When I turned 65, I was told to find a health care provider out in town, which I did. Now I have Tricare for life (and recently started my Medicare), and have had no issues as of yet. (knock on wood) But you are still allowed to use the base medical facilities more minor stuff, i.e. Pharmacy refills/prescription fills, a yearly eye exam, shots (comes in handy for the flu shot in the fall), and a hearing test. And if they have an urgent care, you still can use that, I did here.

6. Member
    I have been on Tricare for life and medicare for over13 years no problems as yet.

7. Member
    I was turned away from the hospital on Campbell when I turned 65. Initially I was an unhappy camper. Now that I have a doc off post I'm so glad they gave me the boot. Appointments are easier to get plus the doc answers all my questions and will check out another ailment that i might have without another appointment. Doc Greg Fryer in Clarksville TN.

8. Member
    Here at Fort Leonard Wood you can still see the on post docs. I think the radius you need to be inside is 40 miles. If I get kicked out when I turn 65 I am moving to Lake of The Ozarks.