60 HP Mercury 4 stroke cutting out when cruising

Hi, serial number 1c1 50827
    Bought 2011 boat and motor and prior to purchase had it checked out at local boat dealer. Boat had sat for a year. They said motor had 25.5 hours and recommended oil change, lower unit fluid and water pump.I did that.

Then I siphoned out fuel and replaced with ethanol free fuel. I idled it for 15 minutes with muffs and replaced both fuel filters.

Took boat to lake and it popped right up on plane and ran for a couple of miles and then started cutting out and revving back up with rpm's jumping between 6000 and 4500 or so. If I come to a stop and turn motor off or just idle and get back on plane it takes a mile or so before it begins again.

Thought it might be electrical so I replaced the plugs. No change.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Jeff

2. Member
    Check your fuel lines. could be collapsed on the inside. Fuel filter as well.
    Please release me,let me go.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Check your fuel lines. could be collapsed on the inside. Fuel filter as well.
    Checked fuel lines when I replaced the fuel filters. Removed both ends and looked inside with flashlight. Did not replace. Is 2011 fuel line with blue lettering, alcohol resistant.

Is it cutting out like its not getting spark or is it more of a bog?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Is it cutting out like its not getting spark or is it more of a bog?
    Seemed to me to be spark, that is why I replaced the plugs. Idid general maintenance on my old boat with carbs and points but am no expert. Worked on my own cars for the last 40 years until that became almost impossible, but am no expert.

6. Member
    Ran boat at 4500 rpm's for about 5 miles and no cutting out then increased rpm's to 5800 and after half mile started cutting out again. Reduced rpm's to 4800 and went 2 miles without cutting out. Just do not know.

I had an Evinrude back in the day that had a bad coil and it sounded like a switch being switched off and on. Just guessing at that. When you replaced the plugs, did one of them look blacker than the rest?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I had an Evinrude back in the day that had a bad coil and it sounded like a switch being switched off and on. Just guessing at that. When you replaced the plugs, did one of them look blacker than the rest?
    Nothing I thought odd.IMG_20190416_141512.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro636 View Post
    Nothing I thought odd.IMG_20190416_141512.jpg
    Agreed.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    Going to replace the fuel line and bulb and put the boat back in the water in a week or two

11. Member
    I replaced the fuel line and primer bulb with Mercury parts
    Split the fuel line I removed ,(2010 low perm blue lettering) and then cut into 2 inch pieces. There were a couple sections in a row where the lining slipped out.
    No melted or deformed lining, just easily removeable.
    It seemed like enough to collapse under suction, so hopefully that was the problem.
    I'll get the boat in the water next week and find out
    Thanks for the suggestions

Jeff

12. Member
    Well it must have been the fuel line inner liner collapsing causing the cutting out at high rpm's. Ran 5 miles at about 5900 rpm's and no problems. The fuel line was 2010 low perm. I think that was the first year for the blue lettered line.
    Has anyone heard of the liner separating. I wish I had taken pictures.

13. Member
    It's possible if not installed properly, there's a topic about this in the 3L forum FAQ that applies to any engine - FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    It's possible if not installed properly, there's a topic about this in the 3L forum FAQ that applies to any engine - FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    Well I read that thread and it seemed like it was about older fuel lines or 8M primer bulbs that caused problems. My lines were alcohol resistant lines with blue writing and I did not have a 8M bulb with non oetiker clamps. There was no visible deterioration or liner separation at the connections to the tank or motor. It was the original line on the boat.
    How would improper installation cause liner separation?
    Thanks
    Jeff

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ran boat at 4500 rpm's for about 5 miles and no cutting out then increased rpm's to 5800 and after half mile started cutting out again. Reduced rpm's to 4800 and went 2 miles without cutting out. Just do not know.
    Connect a SEPARATE, Portable fuel tank and line DIRECTLY to the engine. Run the boat and see if the problem continues, or ceases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Well I read that thread and it seemed like it was about older fuel lines or 8M primer bulbs that caused problems. My lines were alcohol resistant lines with blue writing and I did not have a 8M bulb with non oetiker clamps. There was no visible deterioration or liner separation at the connections to the tank or motor. It was the original line on the boat.
    How would improper installation cause liner separation?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Might have been a bad batch, all that matters is you replaced the line and problem is resolved.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inner and outer liner are chemically bonded, if you push the line onto a barb (stretching the opening), it's very easy to pull the liner loose at or near the end. This may not present right away, either.

And as with any hose or line, time and exposure to fuels eventually deteriorates the line. 9 years isn't too bad.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Thanks again for all the replies
    Jeff