Trime Extender vs Transom Wedges

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

I have the dreaded Rite Hite trim extenders on my Merc. I know at max trim, they allow for too much torque on the swivel bracket during turns. Looking at replacing with transom wedges and removing the trim extenders. Currently, my rig runs great with the trim angle the extenders provide. So, does anyone know how much trim the extenders provide, so I can purchase wedges that will allow for the same amount of trim?

Thanks,
    Clay
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

2. Member
    Mercury has a bulletin stating that nothing is allowed between the jackplate and motor. Trim extenders should NEVER be used.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayc View Post
    Hmm,,, wonder what their reasoning is. So long as same sq in of contact surface remains the same (engine / jp) or (engine / spacer, wedge, or power pole plate/ to jp) I don’t see an issue in any way. Other than what’s mentioned above with the bolt angle being off w/o angled washers!!
    Ask a Mercury Dealer to read you Mercury Service Bulletin SB 2013-15.

Ditch those extenders and have your prop reworked to provide the additional lift you require.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Ditch those extenders and have your prop reworked to provide the additional lift you require.
    Prop has been reworked and B&B by Croxton. But, my rig likes a bit more trim than the stock configuration provides, especially on smooth or light chop water!!
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayc View Post
    I read it. Interesting... so, BPS and every other dealer in the country just violated their customers engine warranty the moment they bolted an engine to a jack plate!

Soundls like a bunch of lawyer lawyer talk to give Merc an argument for declining warranty claims. I would be more inclined to believe them if they’d toss the legal bs and explain their reasoning with scientific facts instead of hypothetical possibilities and creative legal loopholes!
    No, there is nothing wrong with bolting a motor to a jackplate..... That is NOT what the bulletin states!
    Last edited by Savage; 04-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    No, there is nothing wrong with bolting a motor to a jackplate..... That is NOT what the bulletin states!
    maybe I was reading the incorrect one,, however the one I read specifically stated Merc wouldn’t (or may not) honor their warranty if the engine was mounted in a configuration other than engine to transom! That’s why I stated the above. I’m not under warranty, so I’m not concerned there!! Safety is what I’m more concerned with.

I do do appreciate everyone’s input. Thank you

8. Member
    out of 4 ive seen come off in rough water 3 had wedges the other had incorrect bolts used
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    out of 4 ive seen come off in rough water 3 had wedges the other had incorrect bolts used
    Similar to what I’ve seen.

FOLLOW the Manufacturer’s recommendations. Failure to do so can have serious ramifications (knowingly ignoring a safety recommendation is not wise).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I spoke with Don after losing my motor back in 13...Yes the champion wide bodies love extra trim, but the additional forces induced to lift that bow more are sometimes catastrophically too much...not worth a couple miles an hour...and lithiums are not conducive to maintaining bow lift in these boats either..you will lose mph, and how much is dependent on setup. The extenders are super dangerous.. I think the only safe way is a jackplate with 3-5 degrees built in, and I am not an engineer, so the forces are an unknown, but wedges present several issues due to mounting angle, angle washers etc.