Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    New motor probably has different gear case on it than your original.

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by DiawaKid View Post
    New motor probably has different gear case on it than your original.
    Same gear ratio, however from what I have found out it sounds like a different lower, yes.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

3. Member
    If it's a 200 opti max it should be the same lower unit. It will open up some between 25-50 hours maybe 100-150 rpms.

4. Member
    So did you ever lower your motor from 1.75" PTP or are you going to try and run it for more hours first?

Also, did a Nitro dealer set it up for you?

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    So did you ever lower your motor from 1.75" PTP or are you going to try and run it for more hours first?

Also, did a Nitro dealer set it up for you?
    Yes I lowered it to about 3" below pad. This is the starting point that other Z7s with 200s have so I will start there. I have not been on the water yet to test. I am going this weekend. I am not very hopeful that I will gain RPMs as it doesn't make much sense, but I will start there. I think after getting more advice I won't really worry too much about setup until I get a few more hours, but I will watch the rpms and see what raising and lowering does to determine if I need to just try another prop.

It was installed by Pro's Choice.
    Derek Chance

6. Banned
    I’ve read your post, but I can’t remember. Are you getting the rpm’s from vessel view or just a regular pointer dial tach?

7. Banned
    I would start at 3-1/2" below pad, come up 1/4" per run, and fine tune the prop to get the rpms you want after the motor is set in the sweet spot for your hull.

Remember to test with a loaded boat. Set it up light and you will hate it when you put weight in it.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’ve read your post, but I can’t remember. Are you getting the rpm’s from vessel view or just a regular pointer dial tach?
    mercmonitor
    Derek Chance

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    I would start at 3-1/2" below pad, come up 1/4" per run, and fine tune the prop to get the rpms you want after the motor is set in the sweet spot for your hull.

Remember to test with a loaded boat. Set it up light and you will hate it when you put weight in it.
    thank
    Derek Chance

Motor ran great this past weekend. after lowering the rpms did go down to about 5350 at WOT, BUT it seemed to lift the hull and get it up out of the water some. I saw 65 gps with the 25 tempest. still throwing a bit more of a rooster tail than I would like. I may raise it up a little and check it next time out and try to get rpms up a little and not lose lift. I am thinking it was too high and I lost lift before lowering it to where it is at. After it get broke in a bit more, I can start looking at the prop if needed. But I don't think I need to really get after setting it up until it gets fully broken in.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    Derek Chance

11. Member
    Actually yes lowering the motor could infact gain rpms, my buddy has a skeeter 200sx with a 200 merc efi, his boat would only run 61mph and would max trim out without ever actually running on pad rpms day at about 5800, but his trim was maxed out. His pad/prop was like 2 inches Idk who set his shit up, I dropped the engine all the way on the jackplate making p2p 3.5, his max rpms were 5600 at this point but speed increases to 65mph with a little more bow lift, we ended up adding wedges as his trim was maxed out for some strange reason with the extra 5 degrees we were able to get the motor to trim out all the way and raise his rpms to 58/5900, by lowering the motor your allowing your self to get more trim and bow lift which may be what you need with a heavy loaded down boat, but also if your motor is set to high you may not be able to trim up affectivly because the prop will begin to blow out prematurely as this is what happened with my current boat playing with motor settings. So yes I’m some cases lowering the motor to let your trim out more will help increase wot rpms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12