Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lowering motor for more rpm?

us it possible to lower a motor and gain rpms? I am low on rpms and prop to pad was high compared to other setups. could it be that I'm not getting lift? couldlowering regain lift and increase rpms?
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

2. Member
    usually lowering the motor will loose rpm's but it might gain you some lift if the prop hooks up better.

3. Member
    Agree with mdtritn21. But yes, could be a lift issue. What is your boat/motor and PTP setup?

2010 nitro z7 200 pro xs
    I was at 1.75 below. 6inch plate. 25 tempest.

my issues arose since I blew my old 2010 200 and now have a new one but am only turning 5400 rpms and cant figure why
    Derek Chance

5. Member
    Wow, you are pretty high for that boat. I would try lowering to 3" or 3.5" and start there. The tempest is tuneable, you can cup it to add lift if you need but I would start with corrected motor height first.

Yeah I know. I never did check prop to pad when they put the new one on. I lowered it to 3 inches and will try it. not too optimistic as it doesn't make much sense to lower for mor R's but hopeful
    Derek Chance

Derek are you just trolling or do you want to really solve your issue, You have post all over these forums about this and none of them have enough information for anyone to be of any real help to you.
    My advise is to start over with only two threads, one in the boat section and one in the motor sections that would apply in your case.
    I would also recommend reading the frequently asked questions at the top of all these forums, lots of good info there

Provide all the history of what has transpired
    Provide the serial numbers of both motors
    What you have done and the results
    Boat model
    Motor
    Gear ratio
    Load carried
    elevation of operation
    Primary use of boat
    Your prioritys (hole shot or top speed)

Current setup and prop description
    Wot speed and rpm measured with GPS and Smartcraft or digital tach
    P to P height
    Setback
    Just trying to help you out as others will as well
    Last edited by lpugh; 04-16-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Derek are you just trolling or do you want to really solve your issue, You have post all over these forums about this and none of them have enough information for anyone to be of any real help to you.
    My advise is to start over with only two threads, one in the boat section and one in the motor sections that would apply in your case.
    I would also recommend reading the frequently asked questions at the top of all these forums, lots of good info there

Provide all the history of what has transpired
    Provide the serial numbers of both motors
    What you have done and the results
    Boat model
    Motor
    Gear ratio
    Load carried
    elevation of operation
    Primary use of boat
    Your prioritys (hole shot or top speed)

Current setup and prop description
    Wot speed and rpm measured with GPS and Smartcraft or digital tach
    P to P height
    Setback
    Just trying to help you out as others will as well
    Leon I've been a part of these boards for a very long time. I know how they work.
    I have asked several different questions pertaining to my issue. Some have been answered others have not. Not all of us live on the water and are able to test out all things on a daily basis. I am gathering as much information as I can in order to make my next time on the water worthwhile and get as many answers as I can.
    I have received a ton of great advice and have had too many questions answered to count in the past several years. If I have a question, I ask. If I have information that may help someone, I answer. pretty simple. I've posted information several times. 3 posts above your previous one gives my setup and a brief history.
    Derek Chance

9. Member
    Why do so many want to throw out the troll card anymore??? Let’s get past the troll crap on here geesh.

10. Pat Goff
    Proper boat setup is simple. Not quick and not easy, but it is simple.
    The ONLY way you find out what's best on YOUR boat is take it too the lake, and find out what too high is, and just as important what too low is. What works on mine is not at all what's going to work on yours.
    Too far...bring it back.
    If your prop is wrong, that's how you'll know. If it needs tweaking, that's how you'll know. But until you spend the two hours necessary to do it correctly, everything else that follows is nothing more than a guess.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    Yeah I know. I never did check prop to pad when they put the new one on. I lowered it to 3 inches and will try it. not too optimistic as it doesn't make much sense to lower for mor R's but hopeful
    Make sure you are measuring correctly. Sounds good, let us know your new results.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Why do so many want to throw out the troll card anymore??? Let’s get past the troll crap on here geesh.
    Ryan he has at least 6 different posts on this subject and not one them has any useful info that would help us help him so I think that was a fair question, I would be glad to help him if he provided the info needed and keeps it all in one thread
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Ryan he has at least 6 different posts on this subject and not one them has any useful info that would help us help him so I think that was a fair question, I would be glad to help him if he provided the info needed and keeps it all in one thread
    Didn't figure I needed every single detail of info on my setup, rig, serial numbers to answer the question posted. "Is it possible to raise rpm's by lowering the motor?" To me this doesn't make sense, but thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable. I was not asking for an overall solution to my problem, just another means of gathering information. Simple questions can have simple answers. Geesh.
    Derek Chance

14. Pat Goff
    NO
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

15. Banned
    Didn't figure I needed every single detail of info on my setup, rig, serial numbers to answer the question posted. "Is it possible to raise rpm's by lowering the motor?" To me this doesn't make sense, but thought I'd ask those more knowledgeable. I was not asking for an overall solution to my problem, just another means of gathering information. Simple questions can have simple answers. Geesh.
    No, you do not need all that info to get an answer to your question. Some people just want to act like they know everything.

2010 nitro z7 200 pro xs
    I was at 1.75 below. 6inch plate. 25 tempest.

my issues arose since I blew my old 2010 200 and now have a new one but am only turning 5400 rpms and cant figure why
    Is your new motor broken in yet?

17. Member
    No one asked but is that a new to you 200 opti max and not a new 200 4 stroke. If it's a 200 opti max it could be a fouled plug dropping you one cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    Is your new motor broken in yet?
    13 hours on it
    Derek Chance

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    No one asked but is that a new to you 200 opti max and not a new 200 4 stroke. If it's a 200 opti max it could be a fouled plug dropping you one cylinder.
    not a 4 stroke. 2 stroke proxs
    Derek Chance

13 hours on it
    You should really let the motor get broke in before you start trying to play with the set up. The motor will loosen up and gain power as it breaks in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast