Rub Rail on 99 191

I notice that my rub rail is coming off in some spots. I was thinking of replacing it with the new style or would it be easier to remove the rope and re-rivet back. The old rub rail is in good shape for it age.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Just a matter of personal choice. I prefer the rope by far!

3. Member
    I had replaced the rope with round black vinyl tubing, looks nice and doesn't have fibers to poke you in the belly when you lean against it. Made by TACO I think. Gives it a modern look.
    Nelson

I removed the rope and put in 3/8" black air line. Where the rub rail was loose from the cap I used stainless screws.

5. Member
    Thanks you for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by scooke78 View Post
    I notice that my rub rail is coming off in some spots. I was thinking of replacing it with the new style or would it be easier to remove the rope and re-rivet back. The old rub rail is in good shape for it age.
    I just went though doing about 14 rivets on the port side after the winds got some good rollers going and the launch ramp.
    The boat came down pretty hard and popped the rubrail really good.
    So what I do is pull the rope out a lil ways with a pick to get at the bad rivets.
    Sometimes you have to drill off the head of the rivet, then get a all tool and lite hard plastic mallet and drive the rivet in, they will fall into what ever area your fixing and will show up sooner or later.
    Get 3/16 x 1/2 alum rivets, most home depots have a muti pack...
    get yourself the rivet gun and press in and set the rivet, then use mallet to set rope back in the rubber rail.
    I don't like using screws because there not designed to pop and give as a rivet is...

7. Member
    I'm with Lea!!...I like the rope better too
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost