01 518VX Bowlift Issues

I have an 01 518vx with a 01 200 optimax. It has an 8in hydro plate and I'm currently running a 23p tempest, 61mph at 5700rpms, decent bow lift but doesnt feel all the way on pad aka no chine walk and my buddy riding beside me says about 1/3-1/4 of the boat is still in the water at WOT. I first bought the boat in december, borrowed my uncles 25p tempest and it ran 68mph at 5700rpms and was definitly all the way on pad. Gave my uncle his prop back, bought a 25p tempest on here, had it worked (1 blade was about 1/4inch off of the others) and polished. Now I cant get the bow off the water even with max trim, also I cant get RPMs above 5200-5300. It has 2 PVS plugs just like when it ran 68mph. The only difference is I put my gear in, which is not a whole lot compared to people Ive fished with. I ended up going back to the 23 for tournaments this spring. Any suggestions or can tackle have that much effect on performance??

That 25p Tempest is a good prop.. Perhaps your Uncle had a Tempest Plus? I run the Plus and can get between 68-72 depending on weather, load, and the water conditions.
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

3. Member
    Hey CigarBasser, weve messaged a couple times and I'm still chasing numbers even close to yours! Both props are tempest plus, I prolly should have clarified that. Overall I'm happy with the boat and I'm cool with the 23p and 60mph if thats all I can get out of her, just trying to learn as much as possible knowing some people like you have way better #'s. Thanks for the feedback!

4. Banned
    Get new prop

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Get new prop
    Or get a new prop guy. Whoever worked that didn’t do a good job.

6. Member
    That def seems like the most economicl idea, a new prop is out of my budget. Looking to send it off to mark tomorrow with all the details. Thanks for the feedback!

Do you have cup in your prop? I was thinking cup gets the bow up

I would loan you my spare prop but I loaned it to a BBCer and never got it back

Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    I would loan you my spare prop but I loaned it to a BBCer and never got it back
    Sad day sir!
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Owned that boat, with a 8 inch hydro plate and 200 optimax. Needs a 25 tempest plus. That’s the best prop for your set up

11. Member
    Yes to my knowledge it does have the cup at the end of the blades, the guy that balanced and polished it explained that and showed me the cup. im going to get it to a more reputable prop guy prop guy, aka mark and see what happens after that. Sad day indeed larryhyco, sad day indeed!