Thread: BIG Swimbaits

BIG Swimbaits

I have recently gotten into the big jointed swimbaits, like gan craft, mega bass, etc. I think I have the right set up and have tried several. I need some help on a few things though. I am using 25lb big game and 25 lb fluoro as well.. First of all I cant seem to get the bait to go much deeper than a foot at best. Secondly, I have a caught a few nice ones, but have seen many monsters following it to the boat. I had 5 over 40 lbs following it last weekend around a bridge. I am trying to make myself trY a quick snap, stop and go when I'm getting close to the boat but that hasn't seemed to get any more bites. These big plugs don't throw real far but weigh about 3-5 ounces. Im using an8 foot rod and Lew's wide spool super duty reel. Any advice on these big baits would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member
    Is it a swim bait rod rated for heavy baits, like up to 8 oz? A flipping stick is way too light to use. Also, depending on bait, most have a sink rate and you let them sink to that level the reel slowly. Some, like the triple trouts and bull shads, work best fast and near the surface. And remember, you are fishing for very few bites, but big bites.

3. Member
    The Bulllshads are what got me started. I love those and have been using them for years. The baits I'm having trouble with are the really big single jointed baits. I have g loomis swim bait rod and a Duckett WhiteIce II, I seems to have a little more tip and works em a little better, but im not doing something right.

4. Member
    You will get way more followers than biters with a big bait. Have a smaller swim bait on another rod to throw back at the followers. Just like topwater with a plastic worm .

5. Member
    I use 9" swim baits on Fenwick elite 8'6" xh rods with 85# braid. I primarily fish for musky with them, but have had a few real nice bass & some northern hit them as well. Can easily cast them 75-80 yards without trying too hard.

Most of the glidebaits that I have are slowsinks too and I got to reel them in pretty slow to get them to stay at any depth at all. The only one I have that sinks faster is a Baitsanity which might be why it catches them better at times. Maybe you could try adding some weight to the baits you already got.

I use braid to mono leader and can zing most swimbaits pretty far on any of my set-ups. Do you have issues with the Bullshads too? I don't have any of the baits you mentioned but I do have some swimbaits that don't weigh much for their size and they like to tumble on a long cast and snag the line on the front treble.

One thing that sucks about big glidebaits is they seem to either eat it on the first cast or not at all. Trying to turn followers into biters can drive you crazy. I try not to care if they won't commit and keep a bunch of follow up baits ready or come back when they should be feeding and try to catch them some other way.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

7. Member
    Bull shads are no trouble, they will throw a mile. The big jointed wooden ones spiral on me every time and can't throw them near as far as I would like.