Brakes lights-hitch/ball connection

I have a year old 2018 Phoenix 921 and when I picked it up I had a hard time getting the tail/brake lights to come on (side lights worked)...used a different truck and they worked. Had a hard time again the other day and then hit a couple bumps in the driveway and they all came on...then my bro-in-laws truck experienced the same issues with the boat after working fine previously ...I thought it was an oxidized ball not grounding/connecting, now I think its in the trailer/female end of the trailer tongue. Anyone ever have this experience? Advice?
    Steve

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Trailer tongue/ball have no part in the trailer light circuit.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Trailer tongue/ball have no part in the trailer light circuit.
    They shouldn't but when the ground connection is not right the current gets from one frame to the other through the ball. OP you have a bad ground connection that needs troubleshot. IF you do not have dedicated grounds ran to your lights you need to add them. Check the truck too.

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    You have a bad ground/connection problem. First jiggle the pig tail where it goes i nto the truck. Check that the pins are all m aking contact. Check the ground (white) wire where it attaches to the frame. Take out the screw/bolt and make sure it's bare metal for the connection. Twist the pigtail wires wherever the attach to or is spliced into other wires etc. Trying using someones else's pigtail. Crawl un der the boat and play with every single connection and check their grounds. It takes time, but you will find it. Be systematic with what your doing. Check under your truck where the wires go into the backside of the pig tail plug too. Jiggle and twist. If all fails take it to the dealer. it's under warranty.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    Might help if you trouble shoot the electrical with the trailer disconnected from and not touching the truck/ hitch.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pops slowdog View Post
    Might help if you trouble shoot the electrical with the trailer disconnected from and not touching the truck/ hitch.
    Yes it would.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I always attach the white ground wire on the light plug directly to the metal on the truck and drill a hole on the trailer and attach the white wire directly to the trailer. Never had any problems that way.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

8. Member
    I have a 2019 Lowe FM 165 and I am having the same issue. I was going to add some TH Marine led strips on the trailer so I just backed my truck up close enough to plug in the harness and none of the trailer lights worked. I checked power to the plug on the truck and all was good. I put the boat on the ball and magically all the lights worked. I assumed that it must of been made this way since I have only had the boat for a week but from what I am reading here the consensus is that is not the case.