Thread: 2009 vmax

2009 vmax

I found a 2009 stratos with a 2009 vmax 150. Only has like 60 hours on it. I have always owned OMC motors. Can someone give me the pros and cons of this motor?
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

2. Member
    I have a 2009 HPDI bought new. Has over 900 hrs. No issues except had to have trim motor rebuilt a couple falls ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsportsman86 View Post
    I found a 2009 stratos with a 2009 vmax 150. Only has like 60 hours on it. I have always owned OMC motors. Can someone give me the pros and cons of this motor?
    Carb or HPDI?
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

4. Member
    I have a 150VMAX carb on my Ranger. 2005 model. It's been rock solid. The only issue is cold starting. But that's minor to me. I have a starting routine that works perfect. I had to replace the oil reservoir switch about 2 years ago but that took me about 20 minutes. If i was buying another boat, i would look for Yamaha and would not hesitate to buy a boat with the same motor. It's been a great motor.

2005 Ranger 185
    Yammie 150
    Beat Up Ford

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Carb or HPDI?
    Folks don't like to say do they? Keeps us guessing.

Must be hard work typing out a model identity.

At least we got a year. More than some will provide.

Is it a 285 Pro XL? I have that exact rig. Bought it in 2014.

I have had to replace the trim switch at the console. The only other two issues I've had have been the anti siphon valve - which was unrelated to the engine or anything Yamaha. Motor is easy to work on if you need to (I rebuilt the carbs and replaced fuel pumps before figuring out the anit-siphon valve was the source of my porblems).

You will need to learn the starting procedure (for mine, its trim down, step on the gas a little bit, press in the choke, and crank for 5-6 seconds). Once you figure that out, you won't have any issues. Motor is strong - accelerates well. Top end is 60 on a chilly day with just me in it. 56 loaded in the summer. I also run a fourth battery for a 36V trolling motor.

Let me know if you have any questions on the combo.
    Wishing I was Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by bassinman215 View Post
    You will need to learn the starting procedure (for mine, its trim down, step on the gas a little bit, press in the choke, and crank for 5-6 seconds). Once you figure that out, you won't have any issues. Motor is strong - accelerates well. Top end is 60 on a chilly day with just me in it. 56 loaded in the summer. I also run a fourth battery for a 36V trolling motor.
    You are spot on about starting procedures. As inconvenient as it may sound i actually like to pull the choke on the motor. Mine starts faster pulling choke. I am also at the same speeds as you.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

8. Member
    I have a 2007 150 carb and I love mine. I’m still trying to figure out the cold starting part though. I’ll try that sequence and see if that helps.

9. Member
    My starting routine is similar but i have no "pedal".
    1) Trim motor level
    2) Squeeze bulb firm (may take 10-12 squeezes)
    3) Pull choke lever (I like the manual choke too)
    4) Crank key. Normally fires on 3rd or 4th try
    5) Push choke lever back in when it starts to "flood"

This has always worked for me. Trimming down level is key though. When mine was new, i actually took it back to the dealer because i could not get it to start. Mechanic told me it needed to be level.

2005 Ranger 185.....59mph. Running a 23" pitch prop and that's about 5300 RPM or so.

2005 Ranger 185
    Yammie 150
    Beat Up Ford

10. Member
    when i say "cold start"....i don't mean cold day. I mean first start of the morning. after that.....the dude starts if you just bump the key.

2005 Ranger 185
    Yammie 150
    Beat Up Ford