Question Trailer pin holder (pin pliers)

I have a new coupler pin holder that I ordered from BassCat. The steel wire on the original one separated I assume from weathering or being nicked somehow. The new part consists of a looped metal wire that then extends a few inches then has a ring that holds the coupler pin (identical to broken one). There is also another locking ring in the bag to replace the old one. I have to get the old locking ring off trailer first. I know this would be simple for most of you. The paper that came with the part said to use a pair of pin pliers to remove locking ring. I don't have a pair of those. Does anyone know a different way to get that ring off so I can take the old metal loop off and install the new one? I'd send a pic but I don't have my boat at home at the moment. I tried pulling on it with needle nose pliers but quickly learned it won't work.
    This is just the piece that allows the coupler pin to hang near locking hole in case you're not using a separate key and lock coupler pin of some kind (what I typically do).

I like to have everything available and properly rigged in case something out of the ordinary ever comes up.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Picture would help a lot.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

You can get snap ring pliers from most auto parts chains. Places like Autozone might even have them in a tool rental program.

4. Member
    Here is a pic as requested. I have a replacement OEM trailer pin/ring that goes there when I get that one off. What pliers to get that off and new one on?

These are difficult to remove and replace without a set of snap ring pliers. By the pic and the tool marks on it, I think you will agree. Seriously, you can buy a cheap set at harbor freight that will allow you to remove and replace that snap ring properly for 5 bucks. To see what they look like, they have them on their website. Also, all of your auto parts stores will have them also.

6. Member
    Here you go. This will get it done for you.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/snap-r...CABEgIDG_D_BwE
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. Member
    Got it. Thanks guys. I can get those.

8. Member

Mission accomplished. I bought the Harbor Freight pair of pin pliers ($5). I broke a peg on the first set of plier tips while attempting to remove ring. Thankfully the pliers came with spare tips. The second set removed the ring and allowed me to reinsert after putting replacement pin hanger in. The pic shows the new piece installed.

9. Member

Mission accomplished. I bought the Harbor Freight pair of pin pliers ($5). I broke a peg on the first set of plier tips while attempting to remove ring. Thankfully the pliers came with spare tips. The second set removed the ring and allowed me to reinsert after putting replacement pin hanger in. The pic shows the new piece installed.

10. Member
    Glad you are getting everything shipshape for use.
    Congrats on getting the engine replaced.