Rod buckle won’t retract fully

I have a rod buckle that Is a flush mount that won’t fully retract. Is there an easy fix or best replace it?

Springs get worn out or break. Buy a new set and be on your way. Save the one that works for a back up.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Mine are like that too. Last 3-4 inches dont retract. Push and hold the release bar and it should pull the last few inches in. Sometimes you have to lift the hook so there is no tension on the strap.

This is on the stainless steel. If you have the steel ones, throw them out and buy the SS version.

4. Member
    Pull it out all the way and spray inside the spring area with WD-40. Work it back and forth a few times.
    It also might have a small stone inside from power loading.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Pull it out all the way and spray inside the spring area with WD-40. Work it back and forth a few times.
    Are you by chance referring to BOAT buckles? I think the OP was referring to ROD buckles that hold down rods on both sides of front deck. I have the problem he's referring to with my boat buckles installed on back of my trailer that crank down on back boat rings. They work fine but don't retract last few inches.
    I may try your suggestion to the OP on my boat buckles. When you mentioned stones from power loading I thought maybe that was what you were talking about. But I may be confused.

6. Member
    I guess I cant read either.
    Thought this question was about boat buckle transom straps.

7. Member
    Well it may work

8. Member
    Friogatto... no problem. Figured out what you were talking about. Easy mistake. Pic would have helped.

There is only one model of rod buckle from what I understand? The flush mount is mounted with an adapter right?
    D8797ED7-E9EA-42D0-865B-4FE49321D020.jpeg

I would think you could take it out and see if there is a broken spring, or just needs some WD-40. It isn't Rocket Science !! LOL
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I would think you could take it out and see if there is a broken spring, or just needs some WD-40. It isn't Rocket Science !! LOL
    While that’s true I’m trying to save time and just take it out and replace it once instead of taking out, ordering parts, replacing.

11. Member
    I've replaced two on my boat. The first one the plastic inside was broken. I have tried to not let the strap snap back. I recall that's how both broke. I was wishing I had a simple bungee cord type instead.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Sorry I didn't read the post carefully.......

Quote Originally Posted by leobass View Post
    I've replaced two on my boat. The first one the plastic inside was broken. I have tried to not let the strap snap back. I recall that's how both broke. I was wishing I had a simple bungee cord type instead.
    I can tell you the boat buckles are 100 time better than the rubber band type holders. The rubber band type dry out and crack easily. Had them on my last boat and were a pita. I have the rod buckles on my current boat and no comparison though i am on my second set also.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!