Hpdi 2004 needs some throttle to start in the morning.

All last year I could just hit start and she would go. Now in the mornings 40 degrees. The first start up of the day now needs me to give it some throttle to not have it stall. After the first startup and running for a few minutes it’ll start fine rest of the day.

What are your thoughts guys ?

2. Member
    Did you start with the spark plugs? Are you running on all 4 cylinders at idle? You might also have to replace your filters. There are like 11 different fuel filters on the whole engine including the water/separating filter (on the engine), VST filter, canister filter, and the 6 micro basket filters on each of the injectors and two in the high pressure pump. I would replace them all and see what happens. Also, you can buy a diagnostic for like $60 off Amazon that will work with your engine. Check to see if all of your specs are aligned with the manufacturer's specs. Let me know how you make out. -Steve F

3. Member
    Sounds like the low pressure lift pumps... i'd start there... seems to be a common post recently...
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

4. Member
    Gonna take the boat out today. End of last season I had allnfilters changed

A pretty common problem with the HPDI. I fought it for two years and never really fixed it. I now love my SHO
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. Member
    I would suspect that a sync and link might be useful.

7. Member
    I have to pump the ball extra hard and it started up first time today. Maybe I wasn’t pumping the ball hard enough. Last year I pupped the ball once all season. Now It’s everyday I go to start the engine in the morning