Thumbs Up Ordered my Ultrex!

Oh yeah! That bad boy is on the way. Should be here by Wednesday!! Gonna go pick it up at RMP (Board Sponsor) in El Dorado KS the day it gets here.

I started the mods already (new batts, which I needed anyway, CB upgrade, receptacle upgrade, etc.) and will try to post some pics of the before and after as I go...

2. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    You will love it!
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Mizz Hurry and get it installed. I'm traveling up from GA to turkey hunt this week and you can take me fishing when I'm tagged out!!!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    I pulled up some great Youtube clips before I installed mine. I have to say it was much easier with two people. The Ultrex is a lot heavier than the Maxxum I took off. Once I got it bolted up the rest was not bad. I mounted my electronic compass back by my drivers console. The wires were easy to snake under and hook up there. I think most most the compass up front? It took a few mins to calibrate everything when I got to the water and I've been enjoying it ever since. It really makes fishing more relaxing. No more running to the front or hollering for your partner to take over while you re-tie etc...enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Mizz Hurry and get it installed. I'm traveling up from GA to turkey hunt this week and you can take me fishing when I'm tagged out!!!
    Bow, I've seen enough damned turkeys this spring to fill up a medium sized freezer! I'm sure you'll have no trouble tagging out! When you're done, look for a grey F150 with a Red & White Champ196 behind it, and flag me down! I'll have waters, sodas, Fritos, Snickers and some great sammies with Cajun Turkey and Colby Jack on Hoagies in the boat with some Stubbs' Sweet Heat sauce! Pax seat will be open and plenty of room for a fellow BBCer and his gear!

Ill be headed to a small (250 acres) honey hole to catch a few and try to get used to the Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I pulled up some great Youtube clips before I installed mine. I have to say it was much easier with two people. The Ultrex is a lot heavier than the Maxxum I took off. Once I got it bolted up the rest was not bad. I mounted my electronic compass back by my drivers console. The wires were easy to snake under and hook up there. I think most most the compass up front? It took a few mins to calibrate everything when I got to the water and I've been enjoying it ever since. It really makes fishing more relaxing. No more running to the front or hollering for your partner to take over while you re-tie etc...enjoy!
    I've been doing that too in order to get ready. I've got a couple of good "clamping" ideas using 2" ratchet straps. It's replacing a Tour 82 MG and 4 of the holes will line up, so I plan to "loose" install it with those and then remove it to drill the last two holes.

I'm not sure where I'm going to install the compass puck yet, but I like your idea! Might have to "borrow" that from you. I've been an aviation electrician for all my adult life, so I have all the proper tools and splice kits to use to wire it up. My new receptacle should be here today and the new CB should arrive tomorrow. I went with the 60 amp surface mount breaker from Blue Sea. I like the idea of being able to inspect my terminations without having to remove anything. I'm going to mount it to the panel where the original breakers were. It won't per perfect due to the extra holes, but it'll work for now. Later this year I'm going to replace it with a phenolic panel. I'll try and post some pics as I'm going along

Can't wait to try and get used to it. I'm not the greatest at boat control and I firmly believe this thing will make my limited time on the water more enjoyable

7. Member
    Congrats Mark! I am making the same upgrade tomorrow and I too am replacing an old m/g tour 82. Can't wait to get on the water! I'm having David at Shut up and Fish (in Lewisville) do the install.
    Last edited by vvrick; 04-15-2019 at 10:26 PM.

I used to live in Denton and heard good things about those guys...

You need to go to Ray Bob for me and catch a couple toads...

Some pics of the first stage of the install...

Here is the back of the panel with the new Marinco receptacle installed. This is a very sturdy unit and the wire terminations come with Ferrules for very positive wire contact. Very pleased with it.
    IMG_0100.jpgIMG_0101.jpgIMG_0102.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Here's a couple other shots showing comparative size to the smaller receptacle (I just removed) and the final install.

IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0103.jpg

And here's the new batteries I'm installing with the Ultrex.

IMG_0106.jpg

BTW...if anyone wants the old receptacle, just send me an address and I'll send it to you. I don't have the plug end as it stayed on the old MG when I sold it.

Mine is hardwired in - NO plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Some pics of the first stage of the install...

Here is the back of the panel with the new Marinco receptacle installed. This is a very sturdy unit and the wire terminations come with Ferrules for very positive wire contact. Very pleased with it.
    IMG_0100.jpgIMG_0101.jpgIMG_0102.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Here's a couple other shots showing comparative size to the smaller receptacle (I just removed) and the final install.

IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0103.jpg

And here's the new batteries I'm installing with the Ultrex.

IMG_0106.jpg

BTW...if anyone wants the old receptacle, just send me an address and I'll send it to you. I don't have the plug end as it stayed on the old MG when I sold it.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Looks like you did not procrastinate on getting installed.

Give me a call Mark - James Chastine 703-863-4858 or 229-886-4345

Bow, I've seen enough damned turkeys this spring to fill up a medium sized freezer! I'm sure you'll have no trouble tagging out! When you're done, look for a grey F150 with a Red & White Champ196 behind it, and flag me down! I'll have waters, sodas, Fritos, Snickers and some great sammies with Cajun Turkey and Colby Jack on Hoagies in the boat with some Stubbs' Sweet Heat sauce! Pax seat will be open and plenty of room for a fellow BBCer and his gear!

Ill be headed to a small (250 acres) honey hole to catch a few and try to get used to the Ultrex.

Come to GA!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good GOD!! Look at those SPOTS!!! Be careful or I'm just gonna show up on your damned doorstep one morning begging to go fishing!

Hahaha NO begging required. Come on down! always ready.

Good GOD!! Look at those SPOTS!!! Be careful or I'm just gonna show up on your damned doorstep one morning begging to go fishing!

14. Moderator
    pics of the whole boat?

Not yet Randy...My garage and boat deck look like a damned grenade went off in there! I'm not ready to show this disaster to my BBC bretheren.

So first, BIG shout out to the team at Russel Marine Products. Josh called me yesterday and told me my Ultrex arrived, even though I ordered it LATE on Friday afternoon. So, I headed over to El Do and picked it up. Had a nice time shooting the breeze with the team there and they even let me crawl around a couple boats they had in the shop. Josh and I chatted about Garmin stuff and they have some big time Garmin items happening in the near future.

I got home and had a few hours so started the install. Long story short, I:
    1. Got the mount mounted. I used the "MG mating" holes and then took it back off and added the two new holes between the previous four. I got over the internal fear of drilling holes in my boat a long time ago so I just got after it with a decent bit and punched them out. Now the mount is on and fully secure. Since I kept the old MG "isolators" in place, I had to make some spacers to fill in the gap between the bottom of the mount and the top of the fore deck. Not a big deal...just used some small stainless washers stacked and glued together.
    2. Got the motor on the mount and all adjusted for length.
    3. Got the motor indexed and the covers put back into place.
    4. Got the power terminations to the new plug done and wire routed properly.

Still some stuff to do though. I'll get the pedal mounted in my tray tonight and, if my CB comes in, I'll get it wired up in the bilge with the new batteries and actually be able to power the motor. Still struggling with where to mount the compass. I'll take all the advice I can get on where to do it.

17. Member

18. Scraps
    Man I really wanna get one of these.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Welp... i guess i need to save up some funds for a new Ultrex and batteries

Well, as it turns out, I ordered the wrong CB. I wanted the flush mount unit, which I got, but hadn't done all my homework. When I mounted it, it protruded into the bilge enough to just barely interfere with the battery in the tray. They didn't fully touch, but the battery did run into the red push button which is what opens the breaker. So, it would be opening it any time there was any vibration at all. Back to the drawing board. On Friday late afternoon, I ordered the same breaker, but in a panel mount configuration. It's supposed to deliver on Tuesday. I'm hoping to mount it and finish off the install (minus the compass probably) that evening. Should have some more pics to post at that point. If anyone needs a new flush mount 60 Amp CB, let me know...I'll sell you one cheap...lol.